info on ribble frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Hi, i wanted to find out a little more about my ribble frame, mainly type of tubing and date made.

Frame originally had an enamel coating and had mudguard eyes at rear (no forks), also was told it was a terry dolan made/designed frame and used prugnat s1c lugs. The rear drops are forward facing so frame is quite old.

there is a serial under the bottom bracket with 3 digits I think.

Any info would be much appreciated.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Erm bit tricky that - I've got a 653 Ribble, again with Terry Dolan logo on it - probably about 12 years old.

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
there must be some way of telling what the tubing is on mine. Maybe if its identical to yours mine will most likely be 653 also.
Any chance of getting some close up pics of identifying features?

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
thanks for that, nice bike!!!

yours has internal routing (i think) mine doesnt, yours has brazed on downtube gear bosses mine doesnt (just a pip for a strap-on). Other than thats its almost identical.

looks like my size too, would you consider selling? if not where abouts do you live and what nights do you go out :tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's the second time you've tried to half inch one of my bikes.....

I'd go for early 80's on yours then, most likely 531 as 653 wasn't available till 90's.

DaveM

From the description you give Tharg I am positive it's a 531 frame, when I got my ribble back in 1993, 653 had internal cable routing and no mudguard eyelets whereas 531 did have the eyelets and external cable routing.

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
fossyant said:
That's the second time you've tried to half inch one of my bikes.....

I'd go for early 80's on yours then, most likely 531 as 653 wasn't available till 90's.

The second? surely not :biggrin:

DaveM said:
From the description you give Tharg I am positive it's a 531 frame, when I got my ribble back in 1993, 653 had internal cable routing and no mudguard eyelets whereas 531 did have the eyelets and external cable routing.

Thanks for the info, scale is tipping heavily towards 531 then but I guess ill never know for sure..

yenrod

Dont bother contacting the shop - there are some jerks who work there !

yenrod

Tharg2007 said:
I phoned them once and no one who had any knowledge of the frames when they used to build them works there anymore

I phoned them 2wks back about a frame, researching details of a frame and they like you Tharg. no one knew anything as they are based in another location. :thumbsup:

So I asked them if they are bothered about selling anything...and if they could find out my sought information...they then offered to ring me with the details: no details have came.

So, its sad really as I'd have a frame off them BUT no one seems to be bothered about anything !

Got a good mind to go up to Preston and verse them on this... :blush:

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
they are just box shifters now, think their frames prob built in china and just sold on en mass. Good for getting low cost components but not so good for talking to anyone with much passion for the products they sell.

Top Bottom