Informal CC rides South Wales.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Will probably ride Cardiff-Swansea tomorrow. Informal early recce for May's FNRttC, stopping at Ewenny for tea/cake/lunch. Sorry about short notice, but any company from the South Wales CC Chapter would be welcome. If I get the train I intend to, I'll be at Cardiff station about 10:15, and will bimble down to the bay before setting off from outside the WMC, via Grangetown and Culverhouse Cross, possible diversions to check out a few other things. 65 miles ish. I work late on Saturdays, though, so if it's a heavy night everything might be put back an hour. Or two. Post here or text me if you want to meet up - don't send PM cos I don't get notifications on the phone.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Sorry I missed this TC having only just got back from Bristol. Would of liked to of joined you. Hope it was a succesfull recce.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi TC Hope you had a good recce, was tied up yesterday with youngest son doing St Davids cancer research Run .

Goodluck for the ride.I am working that night so if you see some lights out on the Bristol Channel its not a cyclist traking a wrong turn.:biggrin:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Hi TC Hope you had a good recce, was tied up yesterday with youngest son doing St Davids cancer research Run .

Goodluck for the ride.I am working that night so if you see some lights out on the Bristol Channel its not a cyclist traking a wrong turn.:biggrin:

That's a shame. I would have been glad of your company yesterday, as I got a bit lost in the Barry Triangle :whistle:. I don't think I realised Barry was so hilly, and there's something about its layout that defeats the intuitive navigator. The idea was that it might be nice for the Night Riders to see Barry Island...

barry_island_its_well_lush_tshirt-p235458892438961296ylnt_400.jpg

Sorry to interrupt. Yesterday, remember? Lost in Banjoland... I said I was going to go and read in the sun. I did, but chose the car park out the back, not the High St (only the high life for me...)
Anyway, as I walked across the empty car park to sit on the floor and read under the "blazing sun", I saw a lone folded booklet - which turned out to be someone's bank book. I picked it up, put it in an envelope to return*, and thought no more of it.
Took it out and put it on my desk this morning ready for the postbox and lo. A 'Barryday'!
Coincidence non!

207oneo.jpg

*Naughty boy should have torn the front page off though!

Edit: Might help if I included the pic I wanted - doh!

Banjo

Which ever way you go through Barry involves a bit of a climb then back down again.I would have enjoyed doing the recce but Cant do everything.

If you want me to plot a good route through Barry on a map just tell me which road you will come in on and which road you wish to leave on.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Which ever way you go through Barry involves a bit of a climb then back down again.I would have enjoyed doing the recce but Cant do everything.

If you want me to plot a good route through Barry on a map just tell me which road you will come in on and which road you wish to leave on.

The Barry thing was tentative - I wanted to see if made sense to come out of Cardiff via Penarth and keep the whole thing hugging the coast - I shall report back to DZ and see what he thinks. My hunch at the moment is that my previous idea is better - out through Grangetown and Culverhouse Cross, then some small but direct country lanes that go via St Lythan's and Llancarfan/Llancadle and bring us out West of the airport, near the power station. I've been round Barry on the bypass/docks link road before, heading in the other direction (towards Cardiff). It's fun bombing downhill on it but would be pretty tedious in the other direction I think, so yesterday I was aiming for an intuitive directish route through the town, that would bring me out on the Pontypridd Rd/Port Rd roundabout.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Sorry to interrupt. Yesterday, remember? Lost in Banjoland... I said I was going to go and read in the sun. I did, but chose the car park out the back, not the High St (only the high life for me...)
Anyway, as I walked across the empty car park to sit on the floor and read under the "blazing sun", I saw a lone folded booklet - which turned out to be someone's bank book. I picked it up, put it in an envelope to return*, and thought no more of it.
Took it out and put it on my desk this morning ready for the postbox and lo. A 'Barryday'!
Coincidence non!

*Naughty boy should have torn the front page off though!

Edit: Might help if I included the pic I wanted - doh!

Not at all - it's all part of the mysterious Barry Triangle thing. There are higher powers at work...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Sorry I missed this TC having only just got back from Bristol. Would of liked to of joined you. Hope it was a succesfull recce.

It was a nice ride, thanks, LD. I had a brisk Easterly, and a nice bit of sunshine. FNRttC aside for the moment, I'm thinking the route might make a very nice extended pub crawl on a sunny Sunday. I was a bit early this time to try the Plough and Harrow in Monknash, but it looks rather inviting. Anyone know it? Plus there's a nice pub in Llancarfan, two pubs on the green at Nottage, and the Prince of Wales at Kenfig...

Banjo

Fox and hounds in Llancarfan has a good name for food and beer Plough and Harrow also very good watering hole.

The lanes down to Llancarfan via St Lythans are pretty black at night dont know if thats an issue.Fairly potholed in places as well'

If you wanted to hug the coast you could go over the Barrage Locks then over the new foot/cycle bridge across to Penarth (Pont Y Werin)

then through Sully ,into bottom end of Barry .Bit of a climb then for a couple of miles but not too steep to Waycock Cross roundabout to exit Barry to the west.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Fox and hounds in Llancarfan has a good name for food and beer Plough and Harrow also very good watering hole.

The lanes down to Llancarfan via St Lythans are pretty black at night dont know if thats an issue.Fairly potholed in places as well'

If you wanted to hug the coast you could go over the Barrage Locks then over the new foot/cycle bridge across to Penarth (Pont Y Werin)

then through Sully ,into bottom end of Barry .Bit of a climb then for a couple of miles but not too steep to Waycock Cross roundabout to exit Barry to the west.

Thanks Banjo. Might investigate that option as well. I've noticed most of the surface problems on those lanes are all on one side - could be as simple as asking people to keep right on the didgy sections. Some of the FNRttC routes have quite long country lane sections - I'm thinking it might be nice for the first half of the ride, as the second half will have more streetlights.

Banjo

Going through lancarfan would certainly give an atmosphere of peace and quiet at that time.Plough and Harrow at Monknash is reputed to be very Haunted with lots of strange occurences.

Locals may be reporting sightings of strange apparitions on bikes floating past in the dead of night.:biggrin:

Top Bottom