Scotland : Glasgow & Clyde Valley Informal Ride 08/12/12

Informal Ride What Route ?

• Glasgow to Balloch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianjmcd

Über Member
Ok as before Ill Put Up a poll

Paisley to Largs over the braes starting with a climb out of paisley
Meet Canal Station Car Park

Glasgow to balloch via clydebank dumbarton and alexandria

Meet Secc

Both Routes will Be on Roads but by the quietest Routes
reason for this if weather is a bit on the frosty side the roads will be gritted

Bring puncture repair kit / spare tube / pump and cash for cake stop

All welcome nobody will get left behind...........

Manders

Whoa! This forum is going way over my head. I think I have voted for a cycle from Paisley to Largs. If I have voted for anything else eg Barry Manilow played on a continual loop in Job Centre Plus, or fish and chips without homemade tatrtare souce....please invalidate my vote. I very much look forward to hearing from you :smile:

Col5632

Guru
Ok as before Ill Put Up a poll

Paisley to Largs over the braes starting with a climb out of paisley
Meet Canal Station Car Park

Glasgow to balloch via clydebank dumbarton and alexandria

Meet Secc

Both Routes will Be on Roads but by the quietest Routes
reason for this if weather is a bit on the frosty side the roads will be gritted

Bring puncture repair kit / spare tube / pump and cash for cake stop

All welcome nobody will get left behind...........

How many miles is each route Ian? Also what time roughly are you planning on meeting?

OP
OP
ianjmcd

ianjmcd

Über Member
well both the options add up to approx 50 miles as i only quoted the distance between the two points

and yep its a fair distance from dumfermline

zizou

Veteran
If you are going Paisley to Largs then IMO you are better going along the cycletrack to Kilbirnie rather than going over the braes. Unless you are going the coast road (or the old largs road way) then you'll need to go through Kilbirnie anyway and taking the cycletrack is a bit more pleasant.

OP
OP
ianjmcd

ianjmcd

Über Member
Both routes there and back are approx 50 miles round trip

the reason i wanted to avoid cycle track to kilbirnie is in the case of frost the cycle track would be more treacherous as wont be grited and also there is a lot of leaves on the track at this time of year adding to the harzards

Plus its more of a challenge going over the braes ;-)

zizou

Veteran
Fair enough, good reasoning.

Depends alot on what the weather is, if it remains dry then i wouldnt discount the track even when its freezing - it is covered in frost at the moment but it is still safe to ride (i was on it about an hour ago :biggrin: ) whereas if if it was damp or wet before freezing then i would avoid it.

OP
OP
ianjmcd

ianjmcd

Über Member
Fair enough, good reasoning.

Depends alot on what the weather is, if it remains dry then i wouldnt discount the track even when its freezing - it is covered in frost at the moment but it is still safe to ride (i was on it about an hour ago :biggrin: ) whereas if if it was damp or wet before freezing then i would avoid it.

yep i know the track well im on it most weeks i normally train on the lochwinnoch loop

Rasmus

Without a clever title
The cyclepath from just past the secc (Whiteinch) to Dumbarton should be fine even in frost as well.

I didn't vote as I'm not sure I'll be able to come along.

Col5632

Guru
Both routes there and back are approx 50 miles round trip

the reason i wanted to avoid cycle track to kilbirnie is in the case of frost the cycle track would be more treacherous as wont be grited and also there is a lot of leaves on the track at this time of year adding to the harzards

Plus its more of a challenge going over the braes ;-)

Ah i get you now ;) 20 odd miles in each direction :shy:

D

Deleted member 20519

I'd be up for Paisley to Largs, mainly because the Braes climb is my specialty :becool:

Top Bottom