Injured and frustrated as hell!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I got the season off to a great start with a sportiff ride in South Africa so when I got home I started building up a really good fitness level. Then went out looking for steep hills, built up some good muscle on the thighs but mashed my knees and gave myself bursitis, which coincided with the purchase of some nice wheels courtesy of AlanW on this forum. So now I've been off the bike for two weeks and it's killing me; I go into the garage every evening and fondle the bike, promise it that it won't be long before we are out again but I know that overdoing it now could wreck the entire summer.

How long will it take for these damned knees to sort themselves out? Anybody else had this problem? It's fluid squeezing out from the joints and causing soft lumps behind the knees. Been to the Dr and he says just rest and see how it goes but that was two weeks ago.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bummer, Globalti
Can't say I know anything about the complaint, but can offer some useless sympathy!

Hope you get well soon.
FF.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Globalti said:
How long will it take for these damned knees to sort themselves out? Anybody else had this problem? It's fluid squeezing out from the joints and causing soft lumps behind the knees. Been to the Dr and he says just rest and see how it goes but that was two weeks ago.
I had a quick look around t'Internet and all the articles said that rest was important. Many of them also mentioned taking anti-inflamatory drugs and using ice packs on the inflamed areas. Did your doctor suggest that as well as rest? If not, why not go back and ask about drugs/ice?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks both. Dr suggested keeping on riding gently to keep up the fitness. I've been icing the knees and spending evenings with them elevated, which helps. I don't like taking Ibuprofen for long periods of time because it constipates me terribly, even two pints of Old Peculier has trouble shifting it. Last night I went out and rode ever so gently up and down the street for half an hour and this morning the knees feel a lot better so I may try some very gentle rehabilitation rides, solo without my regular buddy or it will turn into a race as it always does!

Get yourself referred to a physiotherapist now.

Make sure it's known you are a serious cyclist.

Until then, RICE 20 minutes twice a day, and after short training periods. Ibuprofen if you can take it. Training: steadily build up in 5 minute increments, low impact, 90rpm to a half hour, then go up a gear for 5 minutes in each session. Build a tolerance.

The site just lost the long explanation I had typed for you - I'll come back later and fill it in again.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yeeeees.... been using that and it makes no difference. I am doubtful that it really gets absorbed through the skin, I believe it may be the massage that does as much good as anything else. Anyway I also believe that knees are quite difficult to treat as the workings are so deep inside and the blood supply isn't that brilliant - I may be wrong, just seem to recall reading that somewhere. Been taking Ibuprofen tabs last 12 hours and they do help reduce the pain but the knees are not improving so I'm going to see my Dr. again Friday and will discuss a referral and some sort of scan.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Fab Foodie said:
Bummer, Globalti
Can't say I know anything about the complaint, but can offer some useless sympathy!

Hope you get well soon.
FF.

+1 Hope you get it sorted soon.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
You're right.

Just been talking with one of my airfreight agents and discovered that he is also a cyclist, 50 miles a day commuting and he has just gone through an almost identical problem! He has ended up having a minor op and is supposed to be riding to Paris in a few weeks. Interesting chat.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
News bulletin: Been on Ibuprofen for 3 days and the knees are definitely getting better. Wish I'd started taking it 3 weeks ago.

ChrisKH

Guru
Globalti said:
News bulletin: Been on Ibuprofen for 3 days and the knees are definitely getting better. Wish I'd started taking it 3 weeks ago.

Just up your fruit & fibre intake if you get constipated easily.

Fiona N

Veteran
Remember that ibuprofen is just an anti-inflammatory i.e. it makes the swelling and pain go away. It doesn't help with healing and there is good evidence to suggest that it actually slows the healing process :tongue: So beware of getting back on the bike way too early because the pain's gone

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I actually took it for 3 days, felt better and stopped and the swelling didn't return anything like as bad as before. There is definitely an improvement but it's slow.

I don't want to be taking Ibuprofen long term for the very reason you mentioned and because I've read about its side-effects!

Top Bottom