Inland France during summer holidays (camping)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
Hi, As we are working in Chamonix until late April our departure for the summer cycle tour is not going to be until something like mid-may, which for decent length tour takes us into the French school holiday period cycling home (probably from Spain). I know coastal/touristy areas will be rammed, and campsites both full and super expensive - but what if choose an inland rural route for the length of France late July / early August (peak time) - anyone experience of how full campsites (municipals where possible) will be? Will they always find space us? We have never yet been turned away from a French campsite because it is full, unlike in Germany, Netherlands, and Italy.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, in 2016 we cycled through the middle of France, C2C (north to south), and stayed at many campsites. We found them ok, not overly full, just right. We booked early to, just to make sure as there were a lot of us.

We are doing the same this year via a different route, 8 of us. Again, we are booking the campsites now - where possible. I have found some of the ones i want to book do not open till April. Some say there is no need to book, but i am getting bookings written down just to make sure. Others I have confirmed and paid a deposit. They have not said they are likely to be full, they all seem pretty relaxed. These are places in not so touristy areas, in the middle of France, some near Lakes or large towns. They are cheap too. When doing the route, in some areas I found it hard to find somewhere to stay. All the ones I have planned to stay at have good reviews. (last time we had a really bad place as we had no choice, as it was in the middle of nowhere.) I doubt this helps much?

Julia9054

Guru
I spend most Augusts camping in France. As a school teacher I have no choice. I always book in advance - I daren't risk it. Look for small independent places or municipal sites online and avoid giant companies such as Huttopia like the plague as they are super expensive and rammed with screaming toddlers.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I never bother to book campsites in Europe. I tour solo and ride as far as I want to on any given day, then look online for somewhere suitable within about 10 km. I hate the thought of having to ride to a schedule. So far I’ve never been turned away, even from ostensibly full sites. I’ll be doing the same again later this year.

We camp in France throughout the Spring and right through to Autumn, usually about 10-12 trips a year. The central areas whilst are quieter than the coast are certainly not that quiet from our experience although we do perhaps do pick the more touristic areas, even inland. I would suggest to make sure to arrive early enough that you could find a plan B just in case, and i suppose you could always camp in a field if push came to shove. Assuming you'll be in a small tent and only staying for 1 night at time then i think overall you'll be OK.

Julia9054

Guru
I never bother to book campsites in Europe. I tour solo and ride as far as I want to on any given day, then look online for somewhere suitable within about 10 km. I hate the thought of having to ride to a schedule. So far I’ve never been turned away, even from ostensibly full sites. I’ll be doing the same again later this year.
Do you do this successfully in the school holidays?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Do you do this successfully in the school holidays?
Yes, I have done. I prefer to stop at smaller less commercial sites away from touristy areas, which probably helps. Peak season near popular beaches may not deliver the same results.

Top Bottom