Inner tube and tyre recommendation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

I need good tyres that are easy to mount on rims.
I bought continental but they are impossible to mount on rim. ( I specifically bought non wired bead!!)

This for a road bike 25mm tyres.

Then I need good inner tubes that don't rip/rupture?
Fyi I have been using halfords inner tube they are so bad I hit a pothole and they ripped!!!
I know halfords stuff is rubbish but it was a deal :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Halfords tubes aren't rubbish - you probably had too little pressure in a tyre and suffered a snake bite.

You either need to use talc on the inside of the tyre and on the tube or soapy water to fit the tyre. Some rim/tyre combo's can be tricky, but I always talc the trye and tube.

Talc and make sure you have as much as possible of both beads in the central well of the rim. Contis are no harder than any other tyre if done correctly.

Tyre/rim fit depends on the manufacturing tolerance +- . If your rim is at the extreme + and your tyre at the extreme - they will be a tight fit.

Sharky

Guru
I need good tyres that are easy to mount on rims.
I bought continental but they are impossible to mount on rim.

Must admit that some tyres present a challenge, but you just need to practice over and over again and it becomes easier.

I was once flagged down by a couple of "newbies". Of all things, they didn't have a pump with them! They were struggling to get the tyre off and on, so I stepped in and helped them. It took less than a few minutes to remove and then re-fit. They said they had been trying for half an hour!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Tyres being a pig to fit seems to be getting more common in recent years. For a long time I could remove and refit all but the tightest skinny road tyres just by hand without resorting to tyre levers but the current crop of rims have even got me using tyre levers to remove the 35mm tyres that used to almost fall off previous wheelsets.
I blame the move towards tubeless rims.

What wheels and tyre size is it that are giving you a problem?

vickster

Legendary Member
Tyres being a pig to fit seems to be getting more common in recent years. For a long time I could remove and refit all but the tightest skinny road tyres just by hand without resorting to tyre levers but the current crop of rims have even got me using tyre levers to remove the 35mm tyres that used to almost fall off previous wheelsets.

What wheels and tyre size is it that are giving you a problem?
He says 25mm :okay:
Hasn’t returned to confirm the rims

T4tomo

Guru
definitely this.
Tubeless ready = tricky to get tyre off rim.. I snapped 2 tyre levers last month within 30 seconds - they were cheap ones that had come free with something, not sure why I had those with me, not park tools ones. luckily my mate had a pair of quite bendy, but less brittle ones with him, although he hesitated to hand them over after seeing what I'd done to mine :laugh:

OP
OP
L

Lauris

I went and bought schwalbe lugano II tyres and they fit on the rim really well by hand!( took me under a minute)
Don't know if they are good but at least i'll be able to fit it back on in the middle of the road :smile: :smile:

I did manage to get my continentals on but I used a towel for more grip and it actually worked however.
They did not bead in well and there is no way I could fit it back on in the middle of the road when exhausted!

OP
OP
L

Lauris

definitely this.
Tubeless ready = tricky to get tyre off rim.. I snapped 2 tyre levers last month within 30 seconds - they were cheap ones that had come free with something, not sure why I had those with me, not park tools ones. luckily my mate had a pair of quite bendy, but less brittle ones with him, although he hesitated to hand them over after seeing what I'd done to mine :laugh:

I have parktool levers too they are great :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I went and bought schwalbe lugano II tyres and they fit on the rim really well by hand!( took me under a minute)
Don't know if they are good but at least i'll be able to fit it back on in the middle of the road :smile: :smile:

I did manage to get my continentals on but I used a towel for more grip and it actually worked however.
They did not bead in well and there is no way I could fit it back on in the middle of the road when exhausted!
I do hope you don’t fix Punctures in the middle of the road :ohmy:

Top Bottom