Insane bus overtake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think it's a decent result, and I'd be optimistic about this particular company's drivers thinking a bit more deeply about their jobs

It's a good result if only because the next time someone makes a complaint about his driving this incident will already be on his record.

I know that a 'talking to' isn't much of a punishment for such a dangerous manouver, but it has a value. From First's point of view - they can't allow a driver with more than one such police-involved formal complaint to continue in the job without exposing themselves to all enormous damage if he ends up killing someone.

And as we're on the subject: Has anyone else seen the recent vomit inducing FirstBus TV ads? Loathsome.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
People operating heavy machinery in public spaces need to be made to take their responsibilities far more seriously.
This is precisely the point. I imagine if motor vehicles were just invented now, no-one would be allowed to drive them on the road without far more careful training and certification, and regular refresher courses.

Here is a similar experience from two days ago, from the same company:
[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUhGOGurUmY[/media]

Reported to them now.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
This is precisely the point. I imagine if motor vehicles were just invented now, no-one would be allowed to drive them on the road without far more careful training and certification, and regular refresher courses.

Here is a similar experience from two days ago, from the same company:
[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUhGOGurUmY[/media]

Reported to them now.

Don't give him the space to overtake and he can't. That is my opinion on Bus lanes.

Bicycle

"The driving standard is poor in that he had to cut in front of you to avoid a collision". I think that misses the point. He only had to cut in front of me because he attempted an overtake which any reasonable driver could see was going to be very risky.

"...the fact that there was no collision... provides an element of mitigation" What!!! So, if there's no actual collsion, that's OK, then?

I think this is a good outcome.

A prosecution may just make the driver cross and make him a little 'anti-bike'. It may (or may not) alter his employment position. Any of the above might be argued to be undesirable outcomes.

This way he has to sit and watch what he did wrong and listen to someone telling him how he might modify his behaviour in future. That is straight out of several texts on addressing poor behaviour and ticks every box apart from the rather questionable one of making the malefactor stand before the bench.

As to the 'standard is poor' quote, I see as implicit the suggestion that the standard was poor prior to cutting in front of you. The author does not limit his comment to a single action in the footage.

On the 'element of mitigation' matter, the author does not say it's 'OK'. He says that there is an element of mitigation and in that he has a point.

He clearly doesn't think it's 'OK'. Nothing in the email you quote suggests he thinks 'that's OK then'... Quite the reverse.

All in all, I think that's a very good outcome. In fact, I cannot think of a better one.

Top marks to the officer who made that call.

Gandalf

Veteran
And mine. That is *MY* bus lane, there is another lane there to use. 'K off over (© Nimitar).

Doesn't always work. I use a bus lane on my commute, on a dual carriageway. If they want to be arsey and it's usually black cabs, they just straddle both lanes to execute their punishment pass.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No, it doesn't always work, but then there are a few further strategies. One is if you see a dodgy vehicle behind and think they might come close, then do a big 'k off wobble when they're still a little way back, and they'll usually give you plenty of space when they do pass. The second is that when they come past, you now have the room to dive left if they're coming too close. In the MX58DYJ video, the only remaining space to be gained was by braking hard, as there was no room to swerve left.

Crankarm

Guru
To the OP - Could the driver have been "cautioned" which would mean he would have to admit any offence? Surely a "caution" is not that costly to administer?

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
In the MX58DYJ video, the only remaining space to be gained was by braking hard, as there was no room to swerve left.
I did in fact move to the left by about 2 feet, but you and Gaz are right that I should just claim the whole bus lane there. He's going to pull into the bus stop in about 50 yards anyway.

Top Bottom