[insert smug look]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joolsybools

Well done! I too am of the female variety, still struggling a bit with indexing though, grrr!

Adasta

Congrats! I get frustrated with the fiddly stuff so am quite content to give stuff to the mechanic at the bike shop to fix! Plus, he porably won't bugger it up - whereas I would...

longers

Legendary Member
I get frustrated with the fiddly stuff so am quite content to give stuff to the mechanic at the bike shop to fix!

I get frustrated too but love the satisfaction when I work it out. Bit like Buggi has. I'm not a girl though.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm one of those genetically-defined bloke-like entities but I often go through a ''can I do it, can't I do it?'' chain of thought - mechanical competence being more to do with confidence than genes or gender. But it's great when you say ''Yes, I'll have a go!'' and so much better when you manage to do it, isn't it?

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
well normally, if it's more than changing an inner tube, it goes to the bike shop. But recently i've roped in a couple of mates to do minor jobs, such as changing the casette to a new rim, and doing some new brakes and pedals etc and after watching them i thought "this bike sh*t ain't as hard as it looks" so next time i need something doing i'll try it myself.

So the other day my chain wouldn't go on the big ring so i thought, sod it, i'll try it myself. so while it was in the small ring i got my dad's pliers, held the wire, unscrewed the bolt, pulled the wire through as hard as i could with the pliers, and screwed it back up.

and hey presto... it worked. :bravo: now my chain goes on the big ring again. AND... guess what else i did?....

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Weren't you worried about your nails?

nail polish still intact! made sure i held the pliers and the alun key correctly!

So the other day my chain wouldn't go on the big ring so i thought, sod it, i'll try it myself. so while it was in the small ring i got my dad's pliers, held the wire, unscrewed the bolt, pulled the wire through as hard as i could with the pliers, and screwed it back up.

and hey presto... it worked. :bravo: now my chain goes on the big ring again.

Well done, but its a lot easier than that. First to try would have been a twist of the barrel adjuster. If that didnt work a shift to the small ring then a tightening of the cable similar to what you done but you don't have to pull hard and then you'd finely adjust with the barrel.

potsy

Rambler
Well done, but its a lot easier than that. First to try would have been a twist of the barrel adjuster. If that didnt work a shift to the small ring then a tightening of the cable similar to what you done but you don't have to pull hard and then you'd finely adjust with the barrel.

Girls eh?
rolleyes.gif

Only joking Buggi
wave.gif

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour

but that would only work if you had a barrel adjuster on it? Right? :biggrin:

so still feeling smug :thumbsup:

Top Bottom