Installation of new bb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

The right side sticks out slightly.

I have tightened both sides.

Is this normal?
Can't remember if it was same with old one.

Attachments

• 20210104_112809.jpg
    20210104_112809.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3

iluvmybike

Über Member
Yes it is not unusual - assume you fitted and tightened the drive side up first & as long as both cups are seated correctly and in nice and tight

OP
OP
L

Lauris

Yes it is not unusual - assume you fitted and tightened the drive side up first & as long as both cups are seated correctly and in nice and tight

I just noticed that on the right side the cap has the silver ring you see but the left does not.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

The right hand side has a 'lip' and the left hand side shell doesn't. Sequentially (right then left), tighten till tight tight 50-70Nm!

Yes the "lip" :biggrin: I don't have a torque wrench though.
I tightened both sides as far as they would go inside.

The inside also has like rubber ring looks like to protect the bearing inside, or does it come off and not needed?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Nothing comes 'off'. Don't know what you mean by 'inside'. One can see the plastic seals on the bearings each side, but they're not for fiddling with.
The new (UN-55 replacement) UN-300 has a so-called "chain line stabilizer" which looks like a rubber ring. I cannot see/guess how it "stabilizes the chain line" or even if that is a 'thing'. The cranks will slide on and tighten on up the taper facets, till they can't any more. The chain line will be set by the length of the spindle. Someone tell me if I have that wrong, and why.
1609764810314.png

Last edited:

weareHKR

@Ajax Bay You're correct, I'm also not sure how the "chain line stabilizer" thing works either & I've fitted plenty of them... :whistle:
As you say there is nothing that needs to come off inside either.
The bearings inside are of a 2RS type (Rubber Seal) & should not be removed.
As long as you have done the above you should be good to go, I have a Hybrid with one end of the spindle further out then the other & in my case, it's so the crank doesn't hit the chainstay (Pedal end)

Top Bottom