Insurance and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
When my bikes were stolen from my shed, Bikmo just asked for proof they were stolen by forced entry- photos of half of the back of my shed removed sufficed. As did recent date and time stamped photos of my bikes and the upgrades I made for value.
If locked up away from hold, they need sold secure gold. I rarely leave unattended away from home, but I do take photos of it locked up.

When my bikes were stolen from my shed, Bikmo just asked for proof they were stolen by forced entry- photos of half of the back of my shed removed sufficed. As did recent date and time stamped photos of my bikes and the upgrades I made for value.
If locked up away from hold, they need sold secure gold. I rarely leave unattended away from home, but I do take photos of it locked up.

Good to know - thanks

rydabent

Veteran
While my wife had the garage door open to do some gardening, someone stole my mountain bike. My home owner policy paid for it in full including the tools I carried in my trunk pack.

While my wife had the garage door open to do some gardening, someone stole my mountain bike. My home owner policy paid for it in full including the tools I carried in my trunk pack.
Which insurer? Seems awfully good of them.

Just checked the wording on our home insurance policy.
Pedal cycles within the home up to the value of £750 are covered.
Additional cover outside the home is optionally available. Unattended bicycles must be secured with a locking device between the frame and a fixed structure.

I've just asked for a quote.

Which insurer? Seems awfully good of them.

Just checked the wording on our home insurance policy.
Pedal cycles within the home up to the value of £750 are covered.
Additional cover outside the home is optionally available. Unattended bicycles must be secured with a locking device between the frame and a fixed structure.

I've just asked for a quote.

Sounds similar to my House policy - as long as it is locked up and you can;t see it from the road (i.e. the shed door is closed) then that is OK

When I had a specific bike insurance they insisted on a Sold Secure Gold lock to a secure point - and a wooden shed didn;t count - had to have a proper ground anchor
and the shed had to be properly locked at the time of the theft

all in all I just thought it gave them too many hooks to grab hold of to refuse a claim
after all - how do you prove the lock you used was Sold Secure Gold unless you have the lock (even in bits) and the packaging and stuff
and looking at the wording - they could easily moan that the shed was not properly locked

hence I just rely on the House Insurance now and make sure I check it out before I finalise the policy

Sunny_biker

Travel insurance doesn't just cover holidays.... ;)

Disclaimer and declaration of interest: I used to work for an insurance company. I'm responsible for arranging all the insurance at work. I am not qualified to sit the right way on a toilet. This post is not designed to offend, it is an attempt at lame humour whilst gently pointing out an error of interpretation in the OP. Smileys are included merely because srw is a bit smileyphobic and he weighs less than me.

Our travel insurance indeed covered my crash with my own bike on holiday.

Top Bottom