Insurance for a newly qualified driver?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Dears - have put this in Cafe to garner the widest opinions rather than Motoring Subforum (but mods - please do as required)

Son - 21yrs old has finally passed his test. He has an 04 Citroen C1 to use and of course, despite lots of prompting has not done anything about looking into insurance until today (after he has passed) and want's to be on the road tonight!

Not something I know about, but where are the best options to look for a new starter? Go Compare etc?
What about these black boxes etc. which are said to reduce your premiums.

Yours, frustrated parent, Deal....

A suggestion to tell him to sort it out himself. He's 21!

Alternative marginally more helpful: we're with Admiral in similar circumstances. Black box typically significantly reduces cost, obviously not possible immediately.

2nd alternative: get temporary insurance until box can be fitted. Many alternatives out there.

Lad 22 passed 2 weeks ago, didn't want a black box.

Me on as named driver, Mini Cooper S £2400, Ouch!

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
The black box thing is not always as it seems. Daughter had one, it fitted in the palm of her hand, and stuck on the windscreen behind the mirror, peel of the sticky and bingo.

Son, passed at 17, Toyota Yaris, £1100 with a black box. 12 months later, £850 with a black box. 12 months later, much newer Kia Rio, no black box £850 again. This year, Kia Rio, no black box, 3 years no claims, £275.

It's a waiting game.

DRM

Guru
Also a problem if you are a named driver and actually want to use the car outside the parameters.
My daughter had this problem, as her job sometimes has very late finishes, or the odd early start, the black box was a non starter, iirc she paid £850 insurance for a brand new Suzuki Celerio, with me on as a named driver made it a bit cheaper

berty bassett

Legendary Member
son had black box as only way he could afford it , made him stick to the speed limit what is no bad thing also gave a points type system for heavy breaking , too fast into corners - he paid monthly and if he had a good score then he got money off next payment
even so it was bloody dear - sometimes adding either or both parent on insuance helps but check , one year cheaper with me , next year cheaper with mum
dash cam gave money off and miles per year gave money off , again you have to keep changing the milage , they kept on changing the miles for best price - good luck
one company didnt say the wouldnt insure him , instead they decided to make it difficult to afford
second hand ford ka - peanuts to buy - to insure £23,500 :laugh: - you ought to have seen his shoulders sag !

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A suggestion to tell him to sort it out himself. He's 21!

Alternative marginally more helpful: we're with Admiral in similar circumstances. Black box typically significantly reduces cost, obviously not possible immediately.

2nd alternative: get temporary insurance until box can be fitted. Many alternatives out there.
Been telling him long enough....

Anyhow, sorted with ADMIRAL, £880 no black box! Thanks all, am sure all this stuff will be useful for others in the future....

Cheers
FF

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I thought a man of your means would simply have lodged a deposit of £500,000 with the Accountant General of the Senior Courts.
(Or has HMG now removed hat option?)

ianbarton

Veteran
Son - 21yrs old has finally passed his test. He has an 04 Citroen C1 to use and of course, despite lots of prompting has not done anything about looking into insurance until today (after he has passed) and want's to be on the road tonight!
Your postcode is probably the major factor in determining price. Since we live in the arse end of nowhere the cost of insuring our children was a few hundred pounds (it's a few years ago, so can't remember the exact price). The premium for one of the nieces who lives somewhere in Manchester was several thousand pounds.

Top Bottom