Insurance for Channel to Med, France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Hi all
Just exploring insurance for my upcoming tour in June/July across France.
As a walker and backpacker I usually use the BMC. They'll cover me for cycle touring (same cover as for trekking) but I'm trying to find out what happens to my precious bike and luggage, including camping gear, if I was to be repatriated for medical reasons.
I have a suspicion they won't repatriate bike and kit. I may be wrong.
While I await their response, does anyone have any other recommendations which they know will look after my bike and kit too? I'm really wanting a single trip policy, rather than annual.
The trip will take 36 days in total.
Any helpful comments appreciated.
Cheers

PS See my two subsequent replies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

...and, following a phone call to the BMC, they don't repatriate kit. Does anyone, I wonder? Or would it just be a case of engaging the services of a friendly local to put my bike/kit in the hands of a carrier?

In addition to my previous question, has anyone had any experience of such circumstances?

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Just spoke with Yellow Jersey cycle insurance and they say I'd need two policies. One for the bike and one for the travel. Weird! If I take out travel cover for a journey in my motorhome and I had to be repatriated, they'd supply a driver to bring the motorhome back home. Seems travel insurance on a bike assumes you'd just dump bike and kit???

gom

Über Member
My understanding is that “CTC” provide this sort of insurance.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycling-travel-insurance
As there is a discount for members I guess you don’t have to be.
I’ve never - touch wood - had to make a claim, but have used them in the past for single trip and annual.
Nowadays my employer provides travel insurance as a perk, but not bike repatriation I think. So my fingers are even more crossed on foreign holidays.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

My understanding is that “CTC” provide this sort of insurance.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycling-travel-insurance
As there is a discount for members I guess you don’t have to be.
I’ve never - touch wood - had to make a claim, but have used them in the past for single trip and annual.
Nowadays my employer provides travel insurance as a perk, but not bike repatriation I think. So my fingers are even more crossed on foreign holidays.
Checked that and you're right.
Thank you.
I'll book it tomorrow.

Crankarm

Guru
I think you are worrying far too much. How much is your bike and kit worth? If you have to be air lifted home you are going to be in a pretty bad way and so I think your bike and or gear would be the least of your worries. Generally people like to help so some one or an official will arrange for it to be looked after. If you are unconscious in a hospital you are not going to be in a position to arrange any of this anyway and if you are dead you won't need your bike anyway! It might even be badly damaged making it a write off. As regards specific insurance for a bike it's not worth it. In any case many policies that claim to repatriate vehicles whether car, motorcycle, bike will only do so if the cost of returning it to home is less than the market value of the vehicle so you could well be wasting your money buying such a policy. You could always have your bike shipped home at a later date or recover it yourself when or if you are well enough to do it yourself. You are only going to France not South America or Africa which an insurer would probably decline to cover your bike anyway or only offer cover for an extortionate premium. Stop worrying, save your cash and just go on your cycle tour. You are riding in a country with one of the best health services and also one that loves cycling. You are going to be fine.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^^ wot @Crankarm said.

If, God forbid, something like that happens, some kind person puts your bike and luggage in their garage or the luggage goes with you if not too bulky. Then you fetch it when you are better.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Have used the Cycling UK policy for last few years - easy to do online and not too expensive - you can choose options which include repatriation of bikes etc.

gom

Über Member
I think you are worrying far too much. How much is your bike and kit worth? If you have to be air lifted home you are going to be in a pretty bad way and so I think your bike and or gear would be the least of your worries.
Agree, in these cases you may not be worrying about your bike. But if you go home because a family member back home takes sick, it would be nice if your bike went too. Or you can have a minor injury, and be expected to make your own way more-or-less.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

I think you are worrying far too much. How much is your bike and kit worth? If you have to be air lifted home you are going to be in a pretty bad way and so I think your bike and or gear would be the least of your worries. Generally people like to help so some one or an official will arrange for it to be looked after. If you are unconscious in a hospital you are not going to be in a position to arrange any of this anyway and if you are dead you won't need your bike anyway! It might even be badly damaged making it a write off. As regards specific insurance for a bike it's not worth it. In any case many policies that claim to repatriate vehicles whether car, motorcycle, bike will only do so if the cost of returning it to home is less than the market value of the vehicle so you could well be wasting your money buying such a policy. You could always have your bike shipped home at a later date or recover it yourself when or if you are well enough to do it yourself. You are only going to France not South America or Africa which an insurer would probably decline to cover your bike anyway or only offer cover for an extortionate premium. Stop worrying, save your cash and just go on your cycle tour. You are riding in a country with one of the best health services and also one that loves cycling. You are going to be fine.
Ok. I'm not "worrying" just want to get the best insurance deal, which, you'll note if you read the whole thread, I have done, some while back.
FWIW my bike and touring kit tigether are worth around £4000.

Crankarm

Guru
Ok. I'm not "worrying" just want to get the best insurance deal, which, you'll note if you read the whole thread, I have done, some while back.
FWIW my bike and touring kit tigether are worth around £4000.

I skimmed through your posts again and I don't think you mention quite getting "the best insurance deal" only this

Checked that and you're right.
Thank you.
I'll book it tomorrow.

So what was the cost and the deal to you?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wow that's expensive. But you've got what you wanted. I wouldn't have bothered tbh. I too have a very nice bike and lots of gear I would prefer not to have to replace.
You don't know the OP's situation and what they would have to pay for basic travel insurance. I pay more than half that just for cover that would repatriate myself from Europe :sad:

Top Bottom