Insurance for Channel to Med, France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
You don't know the OP's situation and what they would have to pay for basic travel insurance. I pay more than half that just for cover that would repatriate myself from Europe :sad:
Thank you for that. I'm 64 and reckon travelling abroad without insurance would be feckin' ridiculous. But that's just my opinion of course .

iluvmybike

Über Member
If you do have an accident whilst in France, or other European countries rescue and hospital treatment doesn't come free at point of delivery as in the UK. For example, if you have to be helicoptered out of somewhere it can costs thousands of pounds. If you have an EHIC card then you are covered for any basic emergency treatment at a hospital but not for prolonged or ongoing treatments. And if you need to be brought back home by ambulance again it will costs thousands of pounds. I know only too well as a friend of mine was in a very serious accident when we were in the Massif Central quite a few years back and he hadn't bothered with insurance - he ended up having to take out a bank loan to cover the costs. For less than £70 the OP can have some peace of mind on that score. Some may choose to take the risk - that's fine - their choice.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have to admit we used not to bother with travel insurance for Europe. Foolish I suppose. These days we have worldwide cover.

After reading the above post I think I’ll investigate cycle specific for my next European tour.

During my long haul touring days, I always had annual worldwide personal travel insurance, my cycle and equipment was covered on my house insurance as a addon again worldwide, however, my main concern was for me, the cycle and touring kit insurance was of less importance. After I hit the magic 70, the cost rocketed up so much that I only buy travel inssurance to cover the period I am away.

Top Bottom