Insurance or BSO?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
So I've been cycling the 3 miles each way to work on my 17ish year old Raleigh hack/BSO, but despite the short distance, id really like a more comfortable commuter. At work though I have to leave it at odd hours on shifts locked to a wheelbender rack in a bike shed in a car park accessible to the public, so it doesn't feel as safe as id like, especially if it would be next to what are mostly supermarket BSOs.

I've been looking at 2nd hand bikes on ebay, but I'm wondering if I could just get something new and reasonably nice and insure it against theft or if I'm stuck with using the old hack?

:smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@MrJamie try local gumtree ads as well . loads of good 2nd hand bikes out there and less attractive to thieves as well

potsy

Rambler
Personally I'd stick with what you have if you are not confident in it's security whilst you are at work.
If we ever lost our indoor storage area I'd think seriously about whether or not to continue cycle commuting.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Third option is 'unfashionable bike' - doesn't need to be made of cheese, just to be a bit battered, maybe add racks and mudguards (or even a front basket ;-)

Davidc

Guru
what did i do? anyway bso untill we but theives in cages hanging from lamposts
They're called gibbets. The details are a bit gruesome for posting here.

I think that for a 3 mile each way commute I'd just keep to the bike that hasn't caused any grief yet.

I often have to leave my bike locked up in public for between an hour and 10 hours, and frequently in grottier bits of Taunton and Bristol. My main problem has been vandalism, and like steve52 I then think how medieval punishments might help.

Other peoples's bikes have been stolen from the racks mine's been on. The difference has been that mine (the one that gets used for these trips) is a not very fashionable hardtail mtb, is fitted with a loud alarm, is secured with a reasonable D lock, and is a dull grey colour. It's reasonably comfortable, is above BSO level, but probably doesn't look like a bike that can be sold quickly and easily.

OP
OP
MrJamie

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Thanks for replies :smile:

Has anyone got any experience using cycle specific insurance for a bike stolen away from home? Security shouldn't be that bad, theres a security office about 10 metres from the bike racks with security and cameras everywhere, but I want peace of mind.

My current best plan is to keep an eye on ebay for a good deal and hope for the best. Bloody thieves!

Hip Priest

Veteran
Is there anyway you could pressure your HR dept into providing secure parking? Most companies want to be seen to be 'green' nowadays, so you could approach it from that angle. I used to leave my BSO parked in the street outside work, and that got nicked.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for replies :smile:

Has anyone got any experience using cycle specific insurance for a bike stolen away from home? Security shouldn't be that bad, theres a security office about 10 metres from the bike racks with security and cameras everywhere, but I want peace of mind.

My current best plan is to keep an eye on ebay for a good deal and hope for the best. Bloody thieves!

Home insurance will cover contents away from home if you add the cover

Touch wood my BSO has still not been nicked and is holding together, its a cheap Viking Fixie. I prefer the speed (all be it a heavy steel frame) that a road bike offers and the weight combined with the fix means I can get a work out on the flat terrain but the bike still sits in the BSO range but its simplicity helps there I hope.

Top Bottom