Insurance query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Do the bikes have to be stored in the house Paul or would that cover in a shed?

I don't know Mo, or have forgotten as it was last July. I will be checking over the next few days. I'll let you know.

Mine are locked to a wall in a locked brick garage. The garage is about 500 yards from my house. My approach is to do the research, narrow it done to a top three and then phone to discuss one's specific needs, storage being one of those.

The trick is to look for high value, named items and not specific cycle cover.

I always chose a known brand over Mickey Mouse Inc. This usually means paying more but if the worst happens to the house the last thing I need is hassle with a cheap insurer.

I've made three big claims in my life, one contents, two travel and each time the quality insurer has paid up without a murmur.

Rowano

I had my bike insured on my admiral home insurance policy. It was nicked while locked up at work one day. Admiral were great, spent about 30 minutes on the phone to them over a couple of days, had a new bike on order within a week. Bike was valued at about £500 plus lights, mud gaurd and my helmet which was locked up with my bike. This was a few years ago so policy might have changed.

vickster

Legendary Member
Anyone's home policies cover bikes worth over £5k? Ours won't the buggers :-(
Mine is unlimited (Aviva Plus Premium), at home (£50k) and cover away up to 2.5k (I don’t know if this can be increased, but it’s adequate for each of my bikes, can only ride one).
I pay £20 a month for buildings and contents (I do get a 20% discount as my car is with them too). £100 excess

Bikes live in Asgard or house!

Last edited:

BurningLegs

Veteran
I always chose a known brand over Mickey Mouse Inc. This usually means paying more but if the worst happens to the house the last thing I need is hassle with a cheap insurer.

I've made three big claims in my life, one contents, two travel and each time the quality insurer has paid up without a murmur.
Quite often the lesser known companies on the comparison sites are more of a broker than an insurer themselves and the policy is usually underwritten by a big player.

Like you, I have had experience of the claims process with a big player (Axa, but I bought the policy from an unknown company). The claim was seamless. They made me a cash offer for my £999 bike there and then on the very first phone call by Googling the make/model and offering the price it was available for. I declined in order to check value of accessories but it was sorted on the very next phone call they were very easy to deal with and didn’t quibble anything.

On the other hand, I claimed through Admiral last year and it was a pain - several phone calls and emails back and forth, tried very hard to fob me off with vouchers for Tredz and just a faff all the way through.

I think the belief that insurance companies are thieves and there to wriggle out of every claim is based on experiences of poor cover.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@BurningLegs fully agree re poor cover. It is so important to get the correct cover rather than go for the cheapest option. This is why I always call my chosen company to clarify bikes before I pay.

Quality costs more.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just to update my previous post. My renewal is due shortly. I've reduced my bike cover to one bike at £3500 as the other I had covered was a write off due to frame failure - long story. I'll replace it in the autumn.

Quote from Halifax for Buildings and Contents is £126 for 12 months.

Top Bottom