Integrated headtube in the frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Nope. It's a stupid idea.
Some are made to fit one particular frame and it can be an absolute nightmare finding the correct sized bearings if they need replacing. Even worse if the whole headset needs replacing.
Done for show, nothing more.
Your standard aheadset or threaded headset are all made to standard sizes.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's a bad idea, but almost universal on new road racing bikes. Some of it is done to allow fatter carbon tubes, which don't flow nicely into a standard 1 1/8" headset, some is to save a tiny bit of weight, but mostly it's for ease of assembly and looks.

Mark pallister

You would when the bearings are bollixed and you can't replace them.
Why can’t you replace them ?

Mark pallister

You can replace them but, if they've fretted and enlarged the seats on the frame or fork, it's Loctite then the bin.
Is that something that occurs regularly on intergrated headsets?
I’ve never heard of it happening
The majority of new bikes are built this way ?
I’ve replaced plenty of these bearings no problem
Easy enough to source ,manufacturers web site for size then order of the internet ?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It would help to occasionally remove the bearings, clean and replace even if they are not worn, especially if used in all weather without guards. "Prevention is better than the cure" as the saying goes; so often issues can be avoided with relevant maintenance.

You don't tend to get any problem with conventional headsets interference fitted into steel frames - even ancient ones. I've just bashed the cups out of the head tube using a big screwdriver as a drift and bashed others back in using a hammer and a block of wood. Never any issues with the cups being loose and dropping out of the head tube.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Is that something that occurs regularly on intergrated headsets?..I’ve replaced plenty of these bearings no problem
It can do, that was I was referencing in my previous post, so many wait until their bike starts to fail as opposed to keeping them maintained. So yes I have seen bearings stuck, on these bikes that is often not the only thing, BB units and seatpins especially; sadly not everyone looks after their bikes as needed. I'd wager you do though Mark and potentially why you state "I’ve replaced plenty of these bearings no problem" 👍

You don't tend to get any problem with conventional headsets interference fitted into steel frames - even ancient ones. I've just bashed the cups out of the head tube using a big screwdriver as a drift and bashed others back in using a hammer and a block of wood. Never any issues with the cups being loose and dropping out of the head tube.
I'd also choose external headsets, all my bikes have them! But you can still get problems.

I have been in the cycle trade 34 years and back when I started these were the standard of course. Cups did get loose, or stuck, although easier to remove when stuck and loose cups could be made secure by raising the surface with a 'hammer and punch' at intervals.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Lower cups can indeed become loose on lugless or welded frames (unless there are reinforcing rings around the head tube). The head tube stretches so the cup is no longer an interference fit. Bromptons do it at high mileage.

Top Bottom