intelligent questions for job interview

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, I have a job interview this afternoon, what are intelligent questions to ask?

its for a print shop as a graphic designer alternating between two sites

I was thinking of:

The position is a 12 months placement, what is the likelihood, for the right candidate of it going becoming permanent?
The opening hours here are 8.30 - 5.30 and the other site 9 - 5, Is the start time 8 to be ready to open at 8.30?
I have little experience of pricing a job, is there a reference sheet for printing costs etc to refer to when giving a quote?

any other suggestions?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
oohhh. Can I suggest that you ask questions based on your understanding of the company? Make it as much about them as it is about you.

What distinguishes them from their competitors?
If your design ability is critical to getting the job, does the company look to its designers to work with a certain style?

Can't help. My last proper interview veered off onto the subject of fixed wheel bikes.
The one before that, over the phone,
Me, "...I've got Fastco certificates in tree felling"
Interviewer, "Never mind that ****ing Bull****, can you use a ****ing chainsaw or can't you?"

OP
OP
Black Sheep
its the kind of company where clients come in wanting something printed or want something designed and printed or "we want this information on a branded presentation" so design style depends on the client.

I did my GCSE work experience ten years ago in a similar business but it was using litho presses so completely different.

jack the lad

Most employers like flattery, so ask questions in a way that gives you the opportunity to flatter them. Combine this with showing that you have done some homework.

"I was attracted to X Co because of your reputation for developing staff. On your website, the staff dvelopment policy says ...., How would this work in practice if I got the job?"

Norm

Listen to DZ and spend some time thinking of ways to make his suggestions fit, rather than ways to make them not fit. You are selling yourself to them and, just as your LBS will pretend to care about your riding preferences to make you choose them, you need to pretend to care about your employers to make them choose you.

You need to make you the easiest choice, the person that they'd employ because you will fit.

Depending on the phrasing, your questions about opening times could make you seem like a clock-watcher. Make the question about pricing part of a larger question on training and development, make it look like you want to learn, make your current lack of knowledge something positive (an opportunity) rather than something negative (a weakness).

Remember to the killer sales close: Is there anything that I have said, or anything that I have not said, which concerns you.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
what software are is used, and on what platform?

be prepared to discuss the merits of industry standard software and macs vs pcs. it will show you have the background knowledge of the tools of the trade, and if you use everything they do, it's a useful thing to highlight.

emphasise that while you understand that not all design is high-end conceptual stuff, it is important to incorporate good design into even the smallest jobs, such as a business card.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
i love doing branding, especially business cards :smile:

software used is quark and indesign which i'm familiar with both, but use indesign so would need an hour or two to get used to quark.

was going to ask about mac or pc being used.

a friend of mine used to work at another franchise of the same company so i know a bit about them.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
In addition to some of the good advice above. You might ask about bike parking and shower facilities if you plan on commuting by bike. I have an interview myself on Tuesday (first one in a few years) so I'm now watching this thread with great interest!

P.s. Good luck :biggrin:

jack the lad

In addition to some of the good advice above. You might ask about bike parking and shower facilities if you plan on commuting by bike. I have an interview myself on Tuesday (first one in a few years) so I'm now watching this thread with great interest!

P.s. Good luck :biggrin:

As a general rule it is better to leave minor practical points until the point where they offer you the job. At the interview concentrate on appearing skilful, ambitous, interested. The answers to the questions you ask are less important than the question you ask and what that says to them about your approach and your understanding of what the important aspects of the job are.

"I'm keen to develop my skills in designing branded materials. I know this is a strength of X Co. What opportunities will I get to work in this area?"

OP
OP
Black Sheep
Bike is improbable due to location

both sites are in a row of shops so unless there is space somewhere in the building then it'd be outside commute would have to be part train and part ride.

the sites are small so showers unlikely - they had previously expressed concern to the recruitment agent regarding me getting there as I live in a different city but its not that far away tbh

jack the lad

the sites are small so showers unlikely - they had previously expressed concern to the recruitment agent regarding me getting there as I live in a different city but its not that far away tbh

Don't feed those concerns by raising it in your questions. if you know this is an issue, be prepared to confront it and neutralise it.

Their first question "Why do you want the job" Your answer - "Because I'm keen on design, dead good at it..bla bla bla...and I've been looking for an opportunity to work in Bigcity, because there is a more vibrant business community giving more scope for my ability to develop innovative design solutions...bla bla bla

OP
OP
Black Sheep
My answer to the concerns is that I do have a car and my wife's travel is only requires the car on a weekend (the business is closed on a weekend)
should it become an issue I have budgeted for buying and running a second car (would rather not) and that can be sorted in the space of a weekend.

TVC

Try " What do you see as the biggest opportunity for your business in the coming year?" This goes two ways, if you have a skill or experience that can be exploited to achieve the opportunity then shout about it, if not say something positive about the drive and ambition of the business.

Norm

My answer to the concerns is that I do have a car and my wife's travel is only requires the car on a weekend (the business is closed on a weekend)
Too much info. Only answer the question which is asked, as soon as you say something like "the wife only needs it at weekends", you have given them a reason to have doubts - you say yourself that it might be an issue, but don't let them have any thoughts that it might be one.

Don't mention the wife, don't mention the single car, if you get asked "I'll drive here, it only takes xx minutes" and move on.

Don't mention cycling, it's too polarising. (whether we like it or not)

Leave the minor practical points as much as possible, unless they will affect whether you accept or decline the job, they are irrelevant and they might make someone question your motives.

Top Bottom