intelligent questions for job interview

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E11a

A recruitment agent sent me these a while ago ...

• Find out why the job is open, who had it last and what happened to him or her?
  • How many people have held this position in the last couple of years?
  • To whom would you report? Will you get the opportunity to meet that person?
  • Where is the job located? What are the travel requirements, if any?
  • What type of training is required and how long is it?
  • What would your first assignment be?
  • What are the realistic chances for growth in the job? Where are the opportunities for greatest growth within the company?
  • Who will be the company’s main competitor over the next few years? How does the interviewer feel the company stacks up against them?
  • What has been the growth pattern of the company in the last five years? Is it profitable? How profitable?
  • If there is a written job description, can you see it?
  • How regularly do performance evaluations occur? What models do they follow?
I also ask when I'll hear from them. If they ask if I'm still interested in the job, I say "yes" and ask if they're interested in me (which they never answer, but it usually raises a smile).

Good luck Black Sheep and SD.

gavintc

Guru
Hopefully, the next post will be from a confident Black Sheep informing us that the interview went well and that he been offered a job.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
The interview did, i think go well, it wasn't long and drawn out.

They had me do a 30 minute design peice - an appointment card for a dentist which I completed but the only image used was the given logo. I did try to put a photo in but couldn't find the tool i wanted to 'ghost' the photo in and did say the tool I was after is, on my older version of the software was on the colour menu (the person who was working but didn't interview me couldn't find it either as I did ask him) and explained what I'd wanted to do but after spending time looking for the tool decided my priority should be producing a finished item in the time, which I did.

They did show mild disappointment at not having used an image but also said that not everyone else had completed both sides of the piece.

the other unfortunate twist is:
A few years ago I nearly crashed the church mini bus as my foot slipped off the brake pedal while wearing shoes, as a result I now drive everywhere in trainers and change shoes when I get there.

Shoes were in the car, but, having successfully found the place and parked and checked I was all sorted I sat and read until I wasn't too early and went for the interview.

Getting back into the car I looked down as I swung my feet in and saw my bright red converse trainers (think David Tennant's doctor who) still firmly tied onto my feet :sad:

I'll hear on wednesday.

jimboalee

The interview did, i think go well, it wasn't long and drawn out.

They had me do a 30 minute design peice - an appointment card for a dentist which I completed but the only image used was the given logo. I did try to put a photo in but couldn't find the tool i wanted to 'ghost' the photo in and did say the tool I was after is, on my older version of the software was on the colour menu (the person who was working but didn't interview me couldn't find it either as I did ask him) and explained what I'd wanted to do but after spending time looking for the tool decided my priority should be producing a finished item in the time, which I did.

They did show mild disappointment at not having used an image but also said that not everyone else had completed both sides of the piece.

the other unfortunate twist is:
A few years ago I nearly crashed the church mini bus as my foot slipped off the brake pedal while wearing shoes, as a result I now drive everywhere in trainers and change shoes when I get there.

Shoes were in the car, but, having successfully found the place and parked and checked I was all sorted I sat and read until I wasn't too early and went for the interview.

Getting back into the car I looked down as I swung my feet in and saw my bright red converse trainers (think David Tennant's doctor who) still firmly tied onto my feet :sad:

I'll hear on wednesday.

It's a damned good job there wasn't a cyclist in primary in front of you. All the clever cyclists get out of the way of buses.

jimboalee

What if the bus was pulling over to a bus stop at the time that the driver's foot slipped? ;)

What if it was on a downhill approaching a junction and there was a cyclist stopped between the bus and the stationary white transit in front? ;)

So many "What if's"....

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I didnt get the job

The feedback they gave was that they didn't feel it would be the best roll for me as the roll involves fast turn around work

in the interview I had shown some of the hand drawn scamps that I've done for a current project which he thought were good, perhaps that was a mistake.

who knows.

Top Bottom