Interest Rates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I'm doing the same but finding them really difficult to communicate with. How long did they take to set your account up after you completed your application?

Their "Live Chat" is a complete joke, they don't like email, and they won't use a phone. It's tricky.

Interesting...
I have thought about moving my premium bonds to this kind of account instead, I notice Nationwide have a 4% one year bond, they may be a little better in terms of communication?
Will see if they increase again over the next few weeks before deciding.

Chislenko

Veteran
Interesting...
I have thought about moving my premium bonds to this kind of account instead, I notice Nationwide have a 4% one year bond, they may be a little better in terms of communication?
Will see if they increase again over the next few weeks before deciding.

Must admit I am more a fan of face to face in branch transactions when handing over a lump of my hard earned!

chris-suffolk

We use Investec and it has worked fine to set up etc.

Charter savings are offering 4.31% fixed for a year. Rates are rising fast, so don't fix much, or for long as a better deal will be along next week. Still better than easy access by some margin though.

Also noticed last week that Virgin money are doing a 1 year loan, up to £15000, for 2.79%, and a 1 year fixed bond for 4%, so paying you to borrow!

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Charter savings are offering 4.31% fixed for a year. Rates are rising fast, so don't fix much, or for long as a better deal will be along next week. Still better than easy access by some margin though.

Also noticed last week that Virgin money are doing a 1 year loan, up to £15000, for 2.79%, and a 1 year fixed bond for 4%, so paying you to borrow!

I just opened a Charter account. Way, way easier then Investec.

chris-suffolk

And why didn't us Santander current account holders get any notification of this?

Just applied for 2 accounts, wife and I. Doubt it will be long before it all gets moved again though, since rates are rising so fast it's hard to keep money in the best accounts.

chris-suffolk

I can't remember the provider but a colleague has just found out....as they increase interest rates, existing savers don't get the new rate unless they apply.

Just keep checking moneysavingexpert.com - Martin is pretty good at being bang up to date with rates.

Just checked on Santander and existsing account holder can get it

However the access route is hidden in a basement behind a locked door in a filing cabinet labelled "Beware of the Leopard"

They could be more pro-active and tell people about it if they might be interested

Funnily enough I was asked to take a survey today - by a reputable company - and the questions were about whether or not you think your bank does all it can to help people

Huh!!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
That'll teach them for not telling existing customers about it - I've opened an account and consolidated the funds from a couple of instant access savings accounts with other banks which were paying lower rates into it.

It took all of 30 seconds from the time of submitting the application to the account showing in the Santander app. One thing to be aware of is that in 1 year's time it becomes an Everyday Saver account which currently pays a massive 0.2% unless you move the money elsewhere.

Top Bottom