Interest rates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The Bank of England have just increased interest rates. How long will it take for the rate to be passed on to savers?

I have a bond that matures next week. It might be worth waiting a few weeks before I reinvest it if interest rates are going to go up soon.

tom73

Guru
All depends on the provider. Some are instant like Monzo who pass on the rate as soon as it was made public.
Others are a lot slower at passing on. Only way you can be guaranteed to know when is to wait for them to notify you. Which they are legally required to do.

How long? As long as possible I think.....

Paragon, Sainsbury's and Tesco all have accounts with fairly decent int rates and instant access if you want to park the bond money somewhere for a while.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Bank of England have just increased interest rates. How long will it take for the rate to be passed on to savers?

I have a bond that matures next week. It might be worth waiting a few weeks before I reinvest it if interest rates are going to go up soon.

usually start to see deals after a week or two. I have a couple of Coventry BS accounts, rates up from 1 June.
Watch a platform like Raisin for bonds or MSE.
Santander usually have good rates. If you've not use your ISA allowance yet, fixed cash ISA a good tax free option

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Coventry BS notified me yesterday that their rates were increasing, about an hour after the BoE announcement. I was pretty impressed by that

indeed, but change only on 1 June

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I aways read the Money Saving Expert when I'm looking to move money about. He always highlights the best accounts for various options - including whether you want to use an app and how long you want to invest for. And he tends to say things like "these are likely to change in x weeks because of y happening".

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I aways read the Money Saving Expert when I'm looking to move money about. He always highlights the best accounts for various options - including whether you want to use an app and how long you want to invest for. And he tends to say things like "these are likely to change in x weeks because of y happening".

He’s good !

But just do your own research too. I often check his page - but on two occasions I’ve gone against his advice - one of which was at the beginning of Energy prices rising due to the Ukraine situation when he advised those coming out of locked Energy rates / deals to go onto variable (I ignored this, locked into a cheap rate - which then all got withdrawn - and I suspect have saved perhaps ‘thousands”. And still am saving significantly every month currently)……

The other was a ‘savings’ advice where I did the same (Ignoring him) - based on how I read the situation….and again made a very smart move financially.

Point bring - he’s way smarter than me ! But not infallible……

Jenkins

Legendary Member
This - if you can afford to lock the money away for another year or two and already have an ISA, check out the Fixed Rate Savings section as there's already a 1 year bond at 5% or two years at 4.95%.

I'm in the same boat as the OP as I have a bond paying out in June, about 2 weeks before the next Bank of England interest rate setting meeting.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Time to drag this one up again. The bond I mentioned above pays out this Saturday and I could re-invest it immediately and get 5.25% for a new 1 year bond or do I stick it in a holding account and see what happens with the next Bank of England decision on interest rates in about a couple of weeks?

The other option is a 2 (or more) year bond with a company like Tandem where the interest is paid out on an annual basis at 5.25% or 5.3% (about £1500 per year from my £30,000 pension lump sum), but the problem with a longer bond is there has to be a general election within the next 18 months and how would the market react to a change on Government?

ISAs are out as I already have one for this year, as are Premium Bonds (maximum already held)

Top Bottom