Interest rates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Time to drag this one up again. The bond I mentioned above pays out this Saturday and I could re-invest it immediately and get 5.25% for a new 1 year bond or do I stick it in a holding account and see what happens with the next Bank of England decision on interest rates in about a couple of weeks?

The other option is a 2 (or more) year bond with a company like Tandem where the interest is paid out on an annual basis at 5.25% or 5.3% (about £1500 per year from my £30,000 pension lump sum), but the problem with a longer bond is there has to be a general election within the next 18 months and how would the market react to a change on Government?

ISAs are out as I already have one for this year, as are Premium Bonds (maximum already held)

Most of our ISA's and FRB's are in 5 year, and in a couple of cases 7 year, terms.

Tends to work acceptably well for us.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Most of our ISA's and FRB's are in 5 year, and in a couple of cases 7 year, terms.

Tends to work acceptably well for us.
Thanks. Going for a longer term is what I'm thinking - currently 5.35% paid annualy on my £30000 lump sum = an additional £1605 per year income (which of course will be declared for tax :whistle:). It's just a matter of waiting to see what the Bank of England do in a couple of weeks and convincing myself that a change of Government in the next year and a half won't result in financial turmoil with the lump sum being effectively worthless and long term interest rates soaring.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thanks. Going for a longer term is what I'm thinking - currently 5.35% paid annualy on my £30000 lump sum = an additional £1605 per year income (which of course will be declared for tax :whistle:). It's just a matter of waiting to see what the Bank of England do in a couple of weeks and convincing myself that a change of Government in the next year and a half won't result in financial turmoil with the lump sum being effectively worthless and long term interest rates soaring.

You may know this but just in case:

FRB's paid at maturity; HMRC take the whole term interest into account for tax purposes for the year in which the Bond matures.

Wrong imo but who am I to argue!

Worth taking into account for tax planning purposes.

As many of our FRB's and S&S ISA's as possible are in Mrs SD's name as she does not have a company pension and is well below State Pension age. She utilises the PTA, PSA & Additional Savings Allowance to good effect.

Just needs a bit of a phasing strategy to avoid the aforementioned scenario.

Coventry Building Soc are offering 4.5% on their restricted access (withdrawals up to 4x a year)

Cheers. I'll ask the person whose money it is (I do POA for them) if they want to move. Need to check if Sainsburys have any penalty on closure first.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers. I'll ask the person whose money it is (I do POA for them) if they want to move. Need to check if Sainsburys have any penalty on closure first.

Sainsburys is 4.21% it seems so not a massive difference unless they have hundreds of thousands saved. Presumably they have maxed out their ISA allowances for this tax year (and moved any existing ones to a better rate)

Sainsburys is 4.21% it seems so not a massive difference unless they have hundreds of thousands saved

Unfortunately not! But they do worry about money and like to get 'value for money' so they might want to move it anyway.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don’t save with banks I buy premium bonds. Easy access and a great chance to win a small fortune.

Or nothing as I this month...
Unfortunately, can't hold more than 50k, however winnings are tax free

Last edited:
Top Bottom