Interesting Gutter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My kids would try and climb that and rip down the gutter.

MikeG

Guru
[QUOTE 5487892, member: 9609"]passed this modern house today and was intrigued by the chains. I couldn't see any down pipes and the gutters do look like they are sloped down towards the ends, Presumably the idea is the water clings to the chain as it makes its way down to the drain/soak-away ?
Never seen anything like it before, its in a fairly windy place, wonder how well it works
I liked it

@MikeG
View attachment 445135 [/QUOTE]

I've actually done one like that. It was a bit of a thing, a few years ago. Water runs down stuff due to surface tension. It doesn't pour down the centre of a normal downpipe, it spirals down the inside of the pipe wall, and it's the same thing with the chain. Water runs down the chain to the collecting point at ground level. It does tend to get a bit blocked up around the chain in the gutter.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
[QUOTE 5487892, member: 9609"]passed this modern house today and was intrigued by the chains. I couldn't see any down pipes and the gutters do look like they are sloped down towards the ends, Presumably the idea is the water clings to the chain as it makes its way down to the drain/soak-away ?
Never seen anything like it before, its in a fairly windy place, wonder how well it works
I liked it

@MikeG
View attachment 445135 [/QUOTE]

Why have you obscured the birch tree’s private parts? We are used to seeing them naked.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I thought it was some sort of eco friendly flush toilet.

Ruined it now. You’re correct though. It’s hideous.

gbb

Legendary Member
They have that chain at my companies sister premises. Theres a high level emergency escape and the checker plate floor covers a large area and water falling from it would spray all over so the chain controls it, simple solution.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Chain "downpipes" were very trendy back in the Seventies. I was told that they were supposed to prevent rainwater being blown by the wind onto passers-by. They don't, BTW, but they were still essential features for the bow-tie brigade.

Top Bottom