Interesting people you have bought bike stuff from.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

froze

Über Member
No one famous, but I did buy a 1985 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe from a former Vietnam Vet who wanted to tour the US on it but injured his back when he fell off the roof of his house, so he stored it for about 25 years when one day I was talking to him and somehow we got on the subject of bike touring, one of my dreams was to ride across the US, that's when he told me about his dream and being unable to do it, he even bought that 85 Schwinn brand new and rode for about 250 miles when the accident happened so he could no longer ride it. We talked a bit and the next thing I knew he offered to sell me the bike so I could fulfill my dream on his bike he had bought for that purpose, so I bought it. Unfortunately a car sideswiped me this past September and threw me and the bike into a curb which bent the fork to severely to be bent back so the bike is toast without ever doing the US trip; the driver of the car sped off, thankfully all I got out of the crash after flipping the bike end over end and crashing onto pavement was bloodied knees and a bruised shoulder. The accident upset me because that bike was in mint condition, but my life and well being is more important so I'm glad I came out as good as I did for being 63 years old.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Muddy Fox Courier Comp from Bob Addy at his shop (1988?)

froze

Über Member
Aren't most bike shop owners retired pros?

Not even close, more like a rare few were former pros...at least in American, not sure about Europe; a bit more may have done amateur racing, but most are just business owners that ride as a hobby. The largest shop in my town is owned by a person who use to market fitness machines which he now sells at the store along with bikes, but never has raced in any sort of way ; the next shop in town use to be a mechanic at the other store that sold those fitness machines, so now he and his wife are the mechanics at their own shop and they've never raced in any category; the next bike shop in out town was a avid skateboarder so of course he sells skateboards and bikes, he has never raced but did some street stunts on BMX bikes and boards on the amateur level; the next one is owned by a person that use to do amateur women racing at Cat 4 level, that shop is some bikes, some kayaks, and some camping clothes; and the last shop is owned by beardo the weirdo, who hasn't got a clue about bikes, all he sells is used bikes at inflated prices after he takes off any high quality components and puts cheap ones on instead and then sells the good components online, and he likes to ride his own bike on the sidewalk or against the flow of traffic because he says it's safer and tells all his customers to do the same!

The next closest town to us has 2 bike shops, the one is operated out of his home and he's a fitness trainer but has never raced in any category; and the final shop is a long time bike mechanic, never raced in any category either, nice guy and highly knowledgeable on the older 3 speed stuff, has a huge supply of old new stock parts of obscure stuff that's hard to find, he buys other shops spare parts when they go out of business.

The only place that I ever did business with, note I said where I did business with, and I've done business in Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Simi Valley, Palmdale/Lancaster, and Bakersfield when I use to live in California, and the only shop that did any kind of racing was a bike shop in Bakersfield, and he and his team (Team Action Sports) were Race Across America fanatics, but very good, they broke the 4 man team record about 17 years ago or so which they still hold to this day, can't recall how many times they've raced that, that owner of the shop is now retire from that but still rides a lot, Action Sports is a large shop that sold a variety of fitness stuff besides bikes, fantastic place which use to (not sure if they still do but I would assume that Kerry would keep that going, they treat everyone the same with no attitude issues, Kerry is a very smart business man and cyclist along with a host of other sports he does as well as he plays several musical instruments, and worked part time as a motorcycle mechanic since he was 13 years old, been golfing since he was 11, the best bike shop I've even done business at. Believe or not but Kerry at the Bakersfield place started Action Sports when he was just 28 years old, and it grew like a wildfire being fueled by high winds.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
T’was the other way around for me. Met this really interesting chap who came over to buy 2 cheap used tyres from me. He was 77 and rode over on his mountain bike, some 32 miles each way - mostly off road across the downs. Scorching summers day, I refilled his water bottles with iced water and we chatted bikes, building bikes and local riding routes. Really interesting chap.

A couple of days later a envelope arrived from him, inside was a full OS map of the Marlborough Downs with all the routes he was telling me about highlighted!

Roderick, if you’re on here - much appreciated :okay:

DSK

well well well, I was after a set of SPD-SL pedals for the Trek as I have switched to these as that's what the Giant came with. Just shy of clicking buy on Amazon, I saw a used set about 30 minutes away on Gumtree, thinking they would be knackered I rolled my eyes at myself, off I went expecyting them to be knackered and a waste of a journey :rolleyes:

Got there, to find it was an elderly gent, with alzheimer's, bless him but, he showed me around his man-cave, a couple of used bikes he's bought to up and sell on which, looked just like they would if they were in a new bike show room, glistening paintwork, not a mark on them, shiny nuts and bolts, new tyres.... damn, I like to keep my bikes 'detailed' and this chap would give me a run for my money! Then he unveiled the following to me;

1930's machine he's done up over 2 years.

49300724626_c39bd2cc9e_z.jpg

Its nice to see there are decent sellers about, straight forward, decent products, cleaned up at a sensible price.

God bless him! Just the sort of a noble, honest chap this world is fast beginning to fall short of.

Dan Lotus

Don't think I have bought from anyone famous directly, but have some Mitchelton Scott kit from Jack Bauer and Dion Smith.

Reactions: DSK

winjim

Smash the cistern
This is the co-owner of my LBS, riding from the UK to Nepal on a rebuilt Metisse. Which is quite interesting.

W_p4wFX5twlO348_8rqRg-OghmA&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Clearly nobody who has bought from me has looked at this thread yet.

Once bought a puncture repair kit from a bakery.

I had a dream recently where I was buying a mini pump from a butchers/fishmongers.
They had three types in the display cabinet alongside the fish and meat. Apparently I'd bought all my mini pumps from them.

Interesting might not be an obvious choice for this person bought of Ebay
Santos Travel Master 2.8 ALU 2016 with Rohloff 14 speed hub and belt drive
( 233269518140 )

Add note
ITEM PRICE:
£762.00

Staggering good price including free postage. Said his wife had accidentally posted it to Poland. The appropriate swear words would I expect be blocked.

Top Bottom