Interesting quote from Lance Armstrong about cheating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Whilst admitting he isn't the most qualified person to talk about cheating at sport, Armstrong, it seems, holds the rules of golf, and the spirit in which it is played, in high regard:

"You might consider me the last guy to have anything to say about cheating, but golf is different. I love adhering to a code of honour that we in cycling didn’t have. If I moved my ball in the rough and got caught, I wouldn’t just regret it, I’d be heartbroken forever. When I think about reform in cycling, I think about golf.”
Of course it is interesting that he refers to the 'code of honour' that didn't exist in cycling - and I think that is a huge part of why doping took off - that almost everyone was doing it and the authorities were doing nothing about it, so the only way to have a level playing field was to also cheat.

The most interesting bit to me though is the line

If I moved my ball in the rough and got caught, I wouldn’t just regret it, I’d be heartbroken forever.
specifically the highlighted bit. It's not the cheating that would bother him, it's the cheating and being caught.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose ...

Quotes from The Guardian

MikeW-71

Veteran
He really should learn to just keep his mouth shut. :smile:

Stop digging and all that..

I think you guys are too hard on Lance. He is more than eminently qualified on the subject of cheating. He is one chap that walks the talk. The other good thing about Lance is that he does not moralise or is judgemental. He is thoroughly professional in the way that he cheats. Clearly a man with greate resolve and conviction and most importantly offers no excuse for his actions.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We are all naive. They all did it and many still are doing it. The only difference is that Lance is unrepentant. As Lance says at the end of the film about him: "I was just better than everybody else".

It's not just in professional cycling; all sports professionals use drugs, the most visibly obvious being rugby players.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. While he was in a team bus.

I find it impossible to see his pronouncements and not think "What is he trying to get out of this?", a feeling that, for me, predates his public fall from grace.

I also fail to repress a hollow laugh when he talks of a culture that he seems to have been instrumental in reinforcing and sustaining as though he were its unwitting victim.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Has anybody ever noticed how alike Lance and George Bush are? There must be a Texan "look" much in the same way that you see people with the "look" or former British mill towns like Bury and Bolton:

PA-10606896-390x285.jpg

L Q

Über Member
Read the article on the Guardian website and what a laugh,

I am a golfer as well and I wouldn't trust him at all to score correctly or not cheat. Once a cheat always a cheat.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Fishing a local club angling competition from the beach at night, circa 1982, I found a five bearded rockling in a rock pool and promptly put it in my bag. Come the weigh in, it was the only fish 'caught' on the night. So I won!

None of us are infallible!! :sad:

Edit. Although I can't remember having to deny any rumours of wrongdoing to the North Norfolk News at the time! :becool:

bpsmith

Veteran
If he had taken the drugs, because everyone else was supposedly taking them, but been honest about it when challenged then we would all have a different opinion?

Totally agree with the not trusting him to play Golf!

Top Bottom