Interesting transport idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Where do you intend building the rails? I don't like on-road trams as their rails can be a wheel trap for cyclists, and are slippy in the wet - this combination makes for a potential deathtrap. That's why monorails are the only realistic future transport solution.
If they're off-road, great - but you need land.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Lovely idea, hope it gets some recognition!
I once had a dream of powering a narrowboat with flywheel technology and everyone said I was barking!
Feeling quite normal now, cheers!

T x

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Bonj, it's a light rail system. If you think about what the tram system here is I'm sure you can see the big distinction. Also when the muppets who designed Sheffield's tram system in the late 80s and early 90s were arseing around people did bring up all these points. It's just that they cocked up the design in Sheffield, not that all of these schemes are bad.

bonj2

marinyork said:
Bonj, it's a light rail system. If you think about what the tram system here is I'm sure you can see the big distinction. Also when the muppets who designed Sheffield's tram system in the late 80s and early 90s were arseing around people did bring up all these points. It's just that they cocked up the design in Sheffield, not that all of these schemes are bad.

hmmm... but how would a better design have prevented the rails being a wheel trap?

i used to go down city road from manor top to park square, and the bit where the tram rails are is a nightmare, as you've either got to stay in primary the whole time with no ability to move over to let vehicles past, OR go within a foot of the kerb, and what with stupid peds stepping out and parked cars it's quite dangerous. And then if you're carrying on down city road you've got to get over the rails at a dodgy angle where they turn off to norfolk park. Absolute nightmare. Although i don't go down that road any more now, since i've discovered east bank road :biggrin: much nicer... :smile:

LLB

tdr1nka said:
Lovely idea, hope it gets some recognition!
I once had a dream of powering a narrowboat with flywheel technology and everyone said I was barking!
Feeling quite normal now, cheers!

T x

I've done about half a dozen narrowboat holidays (the last was in October just gone). I'm trying to figure out how this could be applied to a narrowboat. The flywheel gets its energy from auxiliary motors and braking. I always considered that a narrowboat was a very efficient means of moving goods about even with a diesel engine.

Top Bottom