1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting transport idea

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Mister Paul, 21 Jan 2008.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

The current thread about cleaner energy reminded me of this. My dad had some business doings with this guy years ago, and at the time he was trying to get his idea going. I've found his site, and it seems like he's finally getting somewhere-

http://www.parrypeoplemovers.com/index.htm

2. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Where do you intend building the rails? I don't like on-road trams as their rails can be a wheel trap for cyclists, and are slippy in the wet - this combination makes for a potential deathtrap. That's why monorails are the only realistic future transport solution.
    If they're off-road, great - but you need land.

3. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

Lovely idea, hope it gets some recognition!
    I once had a dream of powering a narrowboat with flywheel technology and everyone said I was barking!
    Feeling quite normal now, cheers!

T x

4. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

Under the wheels surely?

:smile:

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

We already have the rails.

6. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Bonj, it's a light rail system. If you think about what the tram system here is I'm sure you can see the big distinction. Also when the muppets who designed Sheffield's tram system in the late 80s and early 90s were arseing around people did bring up all these points. It's just that they cocked up the design in Sheffield, not that all of these schemes are bad.

7. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Hope the company get's going as the trams/trains look good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

It looks great - and more to the point, economical, so it might get done properly.

9. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

hmmm... but how would a better design have prevented the rails being a wheel trap?

i used to go down city road from manor top to park square, and the bit where the tram rails are is a nightmare, as you've either got to stay in primary the whole time with no ability to move over to let vehicles past, OR go within a foot of the kerb, and what with stupid peds stepping out and parked cars it's quite dangerous. And then if you're carrying on down city road you've got to get over the rails at a dodgy angle where they turn off to norfolk park. Absolute nightmare. Although i don't go down that road any more now, since i've discovered east bank road :biggrin: much nicer... :smile:

10. LLB

LLB Guest

I've done about half a dozen narrowboat holidays (the last was in October just gone). I'm trying to figure out how this could be applied to a narrowboat. The flywheel gets its energy from auxiliary motors and braking. I always considered that a narrowboat was a very efficient means of moving goods about even with a diesel engine.