Interesting window into changed spending habits due to CV19....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/dec/18/virus-drives-healthy-lager-sales-wipes-180m-makeup

I've certainly let myself go...but nobody's noticed :ohmy:

What changes have you made consciously or unconsciously?
Well, it certainly wasn't me drinking more lager. Instead, I've been buying assorted cases of beer delivered to the door. I'm waiting for a delivery now.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have made a conscious effort to support local businesses - I even bought a bicycle especially to enable this; A 1978 Dawes Kingpin which I use exclusively for riding to nearby farm shops and village stores. This has also meant taking advantage of local breweries who have all taken to online sales. We have been using the local pub for takeaway meals a lot - they never did this before Lockdown 1.0 but quickly 'pivoted' and now they do more meals for takeaway than they ever did as an eat-in service. And whilst I'm there I always have a take-away beer or two. :whistle:

Lockdown 1.0 saw me cycling more than I ever had before - the combination of working from home and glorious weather meant I was out a lot more than usual. But since the weather has turned and working from home has become a normal, this has dropped right off meaning that yes, I too have regained some of the weight I worked hard to shift a few years ago.

Rocky

Hello decadence
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/dec/18/virus-drives-healthy-lager-sales-wipes-180m-makeup

I've certainly let myself go...but nobody's noticed :ohmy:

What changes have you made consciously or unconsciously?
I've become a fitness guru - no alcohol or impurities cross my lips, I only have positive thoughts, I'm running 15 miles a day and the Prof gives me a quick outdoor birching every morning at 6am.

I'm bringing out a life style DVD in the new year entitled 'you too could be like me.........unless you are very careful'

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Certainly had more cash and not burning it on fuel. We have had a few thing's break this year, so it's been handy having the extra cash.
I'm using local business more as I've got time to pop out ! Can't support the restaurants locally as they have been mostly shut for months !:wacko:

lane

Veteran
Don't drink so no extra expenditure there. Money saved has generally gone to pay off debts or savings. Need to save some money and pay off debts anyhow as son is going to uni and I want to retire.

Edit - although my wife lost her part time job so that hasn't helped

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Less expenditure on race entries, accommodation and travel costs to races. Lunch is at home rather than bought at work, so saved there. We spent less on a holiday by going to North Yorkshire for a week rather than France for 2+ weeks. Less bike rides for me = less cafe stops although I found a couple of self-service cafe's in March-May so used them a lot. We don't drink alcohol so no difference there.

More has been spent on home communication bits; fibre optic broadband, webcam, headset and network stuff but they're all tax-deductible.

As a result we've paid off the mortgage yesterday.

Im a social drinker (I've had one bottle in a zoom call back in March and nothing since) so Ive not contributed to its rise. In fact I've added nothing to the up list. I did eat more ready meals when I was more time crunched (commuting) so I've maybe added to their decline.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I made the decision to take full retirement and give up Supply teaching although that will result in a drop in income but I noticed I can cope on my pensions alone. I will just have to cut down on little luxuries but that doesn't bother me because, in reality, the more you earn, the more you spend. Back to basics then.

Top Bottom