Interesting window into changed spending habits due to CV19....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nowadays I'm not wasting so much money on things like fizzy drinks & cottage cheese with pineapple.

It's quite nice getting to the end of the month & still have a few hundred £ in my bank account. The last two months I've indulged myself by getting a fair few bottles of mead.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My lager consumption has remained rock steady but I buy multiple cases of 24 cans at a time to avoid frequent trips to the slightly seedy off-licences hereabouts.

Well, there've been no cat shows since March, so been using the car a LOT less, plus there's no spending money on entry fees when I'm not judging or stewarding. Although that wasn't much in terms of entry fees as the girls are semi-retired from the show bench anyway. Poppy isn't the most confident, and Lexi has a propensity for some serious diva moments...

Although the money I saved by not going to cat shows ended up being spent on a bike build after I snapped up a late 90s MTB frame and forks at the local tip. :blush: But I now have a perfect winter / mucky weather bike, and my little fleet is just about complete.

Also, I've been going into town a lot less, and I certainly won't shop-hop if I can't find something. If I can't get it in Tesco or Wilkinsons, I'll either buy online or do without. Shopping trips to Cambridge (and also further afield) have been put on hold.

IMG-20201218-WA0014.jpeg

IMG_20201218_194018_4.jpg

Exactly what I am doing now. I can think of
nothing that will change.
I have and am taking advantage of the falling interest rates and the share price collapse. Finishing soon with an equity release at 2.36% all going into investments. Should keep me in beer for the foreseeable future!!

Just thought of something. I am buying cider bag in the box from small cider companies all over the UK. And will continue to do so. There, life has changed for me. I will not be looking back. Bag in the box forever!. A lot of small cider companies around the country. It will take a long time to test them all. May never achieve it but I will try!!

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Its not affected me personally very much at all. Im a thrifty retired layabout who never went anywhere or did anything, barely spent any cash. The only real difference spending wise is Mrs D has the shopping delivered - Tesco is a bit down market for us under normal circumstances, but they guarantee priority slots for vulnerable and/or disabled customers, and Mrs D ticks those boxes.

Started off well back in March as the pubs were shut, football season tickets were on hold and obviously no summer hols abroad.

Then it all went pear shaped, Daughter wanted a car so got that sorted, decided I needed a new bike so ended up with 2! then the long awaited Campervan resto which I'd put off for years eventually got under way so that's now in full swing.

Apart from all that I've saved a fortune!:blush:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My overall expenditure is completely flat. What has changed is the realisation that I rarely need to visit a physical retail/trade outlet. I can do 90% at a keyboard. The delivery people do the rest.......extremely well.

I am retired, and fortunate enough to be in receipt of an occupational pension, which is enough to live on, provided we don't go mad. State pension won't kick in for another 4 years or so.
Where we are saving in lock down is in not going to pubs at least 3 nights a week for singing/ukulele/open mic nights. Used to cost around £25 a week in beer/club fees, but meetings are currently on zoom. And seeing as we are now in tier 4, this will be the situation for quite a while.....

Top Bottom