International Left Hand Day

What Hand Are You?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
crikey this thread has just reminded of one of the oddest parents I've ever wanted to slap!

you know those types of women who get pregnant and go out to buy a parenting guide book or two and follow them to the letter, ignoring any advice from Granny or Nana? Well, this particular woman, upon discovering her daughter is a lefty, went out and bought a load of books with titles such as 'bringing up a left handed child', 'living in a right handed world', etc...

on one visit she asked "Are you left handed?" I said yes and she gave me one of those 'oh you poor thing' looks, followed by "don't you find it hard living in a world where everything is on the wrong side?"

"er... no... everything's on the same side it's always been."

"But... the TV off switch is on the right, the microwave door opens from the right, everything is designed from a right handed point of view and it's soooooo hard for a left hander to fit in."

"Er... is it.... I've never had a problem."

"I've been to her school and the teachers just don't realise how difficult things are for her [daughter] being left handed, but they just don't get it."

"Well... there's not much to get, we write with the other hand and that's about it."

"no you don't understand..." and on and on she went. So much so she saw being left handed as a disability which teachers, politicians and the general public just don't understand.

Obviously she was right because she'd read several books on the subject, but sometimes it's really hard to not say, "you're a fecking idiot!"

TVC

300px-ManoLaplace.svg.png

Something I use regularly in the Transformer game.

I'm a south paw as well.

Lefties Rule!!!!!

...on one visit she asked "Are you left handed?" I said yes and she gave me one of those 'oh you poor thing' looks, followed by "don't you find it hard living in a world where everything is on the wrong side?"

"er... no... everything's on the same side it's always been."

"But... the TV off switch is on the right, the microwave door opens from the right, everything is designed from a right handed point of view and it's soooooo hard for a left hander to fit in."...

When I was in England if I got the "Southpaws have such a hard time of it" line I used to ask if the person realised that the most complicated piece of machinery most people use daily was especially laid out for left handed people to control easily. There is a simple reason all the left handers I knew passed the driving test first time.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm more dexterous with my left hand than my right, which is somewhat sinister.
-----------------------------------
Sent mobile phone stylee

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm totally right-handed. My left one is almost vestigial. Stangely enough, I'm left-eyed though.

I'm really surprised how many lefties there are here.

Doseone

Guru
I'm a mess with handedness. I don't know which hand I'll do something with until I try. Some things I can do ambidextrously. I write with my left, do most sports with my right except archery where I shoot with my left but am right eye dominant. I fire a rifle right handed but a pistol or sword can be either.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I am left handed, at least for for writing and tasks such as soldering (precision tasks), but for other tasks such as playing guitar I am "right handed" as in I play a standard guitar in the standard orientation, not a left handed guitar, and it feels completely natural. I also favour my right hand for throwing and other more physical activities.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I am left handed, at least for for writing and tasks such as soldering (precision tasks), but for other tasks such as playing guitar I am "right handed" as in I play a standard guitar in the standard orientation, not a left handed guitar, and it feels completely natural. I also favour my right hand for throwing and other more physical activities.

lucky bugger... there's nowt worse than walking into a shop full of guitars and only having a couple of very basic models to choose from :sad:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'm totally right handed; my big brother is amphibious.

:laugh:

I'm ambidextrous up to a certain point. I am mainly right handed, but I do other things I shouldn't be able too left handed without thinking about it, and I can write and draw left handed, but I have never practiced it enough to be really really excelent at it. Obviously I should, I'd be able to do it too!

I am, however, left footed, which might explain a few things, and for as long as I can remember, when I start off pedalling from a standing start, I start left footed first, which seems to be the opposite of what most people do (even some left handed people have questioned me doing this!).

I was brain damaged as a baby, and the right side of my body is slightly weaker, hence why I have no true dominant side.

Top Bottom