Internet Explorer 8????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Is is it worth moving on from 7?

I'm a bit stuck in my ways and don't like to have to figure out new stuff, is it that different?

(I did try a beta version and detested it)

Also not interested in another type (eg, firefox)

Oh yes non-techie answers appreciated, as I won't understand them.

ta

craig#

Davidc

Guru
No option - Microsoft hijack your computer and put it on in the name of updates.

It's very slow and its new features are all (this) user unfriendly.

Now have 2 browsers loaded. IE8 for 2 commercial applications which are locked to MSoft, Mozilla Firefox for everything else.

I've gone to IE8, but did hold on to IE7 on my backup pc until I was sure I'd ironed out the kinks. And Firefox is still there in the background waiting to come to my rescue when needed.

I went straight from IE6 to IE8 and found it ok. Have used Firefox but if i don't understand something within 10 secs of using it then off it goes.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
accountantpete said:
I went straight from IE6 to IE8 and found it ok. Have used Firefox but if i don't understand something within 10 secs of using it then off it goes.

Glad it's not just me :wacko:

Sorry, slightly O/T but is there a way to run both then? (Firefox and IE8)

I'm liking Firefox for the better security when online banking but for some things I just can't get on with it and have to log in under the wifes account to use IE8. How do you have both?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I changed to IE8 because Firefox took such an age to load. I have had no problems so far with site incompatibility.

nigelnorris

Panter said:
Glad it's not just me :wacko:

Sorry, slightly O/T but is there a way to run both then? (Firefox and IE8)

I'm liking Firefox for the better security when online banking but for some things I just can't get on with it and have to log in under the wifes account to use IE8. How do you have both?
You just install FF, it can live alongside IE wihtout conflict. During the setup let it import your IE bookmarks, then when you run it you really won't see any difference. If you don't want to set it as the default browser you can just run it from a desktop icon, Start Menu shortcut, etc.

I use FF as default but from what I've seen IE8 is a big improvement over IE7, certainly loads quicker. No matter what browser or version you use there will always be sites that either don't work or don't look right, having one as default and another as backup can only be a good thing.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
nigelnorris said:
You just install FF, it can live alongside IE wihtout conflict. During the setup let it import your IE bookmarks, then when you run it you really won't see any difference. If you don't want to set it as the default browser you can just run it from a desktop icon, Start Menu shortcut, etc.

I use FF as default but from what I've seen IE8 is a big improvement over IE7, certainly loads quicker. No matter what browser or version you use there will always be sites that either don't work or don't look right, having one as default and another as backup can only be a good thing.

Thanks for that ;)

I've now gone back to IE8, I'll just use FF for online banking I think.

Proto

Legendary Member
IE8 is incredibly slow on some sites. I've been using Firefox for a while, it works well. I'm now using Google Chrome, no fancy dan features, but much, much quicker than IE8. Quicker than Firefox too.

Mr Pig

craigwend said:
Also not interested in another type (eg, firefox)

Why would you not be interested in a product that might be better than the one you have? I use both IE and FF and over the years FF gets used a lot more. It won't make your computer catch fire, honest! ;0)

Proto said:
IE8 is incredibly slow on some sites. I've been using Firefox for a while, it works well. I'm now using Google Chrome, no fancy dan features, but much, much quicker than IE8. Quicker than Firefox too.

I haven't noticed any sites where IE8 takes ages to download - perhaps I am not looking at the right sites!

Top Bottom