Internet for everyone - the downside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Two stories about the internet on the BBC

The first is a project that wants to get everyone on the internet, especially the elderly and vulnerable with learning difficulties etc. The aim is to get everyone on line by 2012

The second was a lady who met a guy internet dating, he then got involved in a crash, his daughter needed an operation, and you can guess the rest - £50,000 down

This is where I have a problem. We ttok my ML off the internet because she was too gullible and really wanted to help what to me were obvious scams. She now uses the internet a couple of times a week, but under supervision.

Anyway to my point.

Anyway to my point...

If we are to extend the internet to these vulnerable groups, how do we protect them?

rogersavery

Send then emails asking for money and see if they fall for it?

Keith Oates

Janner
Two stories about the internet on the BBC

The first is a project that wants to get everyone on the internet, especially the elderly and vulnerable with learning difficulties etc. The aim is to get everyone on line by 2012

The second was a lady who met a guy internet dating, he then got involved in a crash, his daughter needed an operation, and you can guess the rest - £50,000 down

This is where I have a problem. We ttok my ML off the internet because she was too gullible and really wanted to help what to me were obvious scams. She now uses the internet a couple of times a week, but under supervision.

Anyway to my point.

Anyway to my point...

If we are to extend the internet to these vulnerable groups, how do we protect them?
The obvious and glib answer on how to protect them is "with great difficulty". On a more serious note it is only by friends and famiily constantly advising them and also limiting the sites they can enter, but that takes time and knowledge to achieve and I for one would not know how to do the control of entering sites.

OP
OP
U

ufkacbln

Send then emails asking for money and see if they fall for it?

She would and did!

She also bought an Iphone - because he salesman told her it was the ideal replacement for her PAYG Nokia 2630. She doesn't like making calls, only uses it for incoming and her total bill for the last year was £5

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've often wondered whether older generations are more trusting than me and mine, or whether we'll still be getting conned into unneeded building work and robbed by bogus officials/nigerian fraudsters when we get elderly…

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country

The BBC article was probably relating to Race Online 2012 - as you say the government wants to get everyone on the internet. Partly, I think, so they can deliver as many services as possible online and reduce costly face-to-face encounters.

There's another government-backed project called Get Digital - specifically helping older people get online. This is working with sheltered housing schemes across the country. Part of this project includes tutoring by professional tutors - I've been involved in a previous scheme and I'm hoping to be involved when this is rolled out in my area. Certainly one of the things the tutors will be talking about is security, spam, phising, etc. and the risks involved in using public-access computers.

I've found that many older people are very concerned about the risks involved. Many are very well-informed and very cautious in their computer/internet use. Others are less so.

Top Bottom