Internet use while working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Current assignment doesn't allow social media on their devices. So I take mini-breaks and post from my phone, or my tablet. Using their guest wifi. Makes no difference to my effectiveness as I am bound to fail on this gig either way.

tyred

Legendary Member
I can't in my current job even if I wanted to as internet access is really closed down to work related things but I did quite a bit in my previous job. I wasn't avoiding work as such but most of my time was either spent on the technical support helpdesk and if no customers called, there wasn't much else to do and I also programmed or fault-found customer telephone systems and as the older ones were my area of expertise so I was often sitting waiting for the configuration to download or upload over modem links which usually took ages and I would often mess about online while just keeping an eye that the download/upload was going okay and hadn't timed out, dropped connection or returned some sort of error. It was comical in some ways to spend maybe 40 minutes downloading the file, make a few minor changes which might haven taken two minutes and then wait another 40 minutes to upload the changes.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I have a little word with him from time to time but I can do no more.
You can if it interferes with his work. Whether that's sensible or not is another question.

I have very deliberately set a long password on CC and don't use it on my work computers, but will use my phone when I'm getting too frustrated.

keithmac

Guru
I have a browse at dinner break but too busy at work otherwise!.

Have a quick look after tea normally.

gavgav

Guru
I use my mobile in my lunch half hour only and post the odd thing on here during that time.

No use of the internet for personal stuff during the working day on my PC, organisation rules.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
You can if it interferes with his work. Whether that's sensible or not is another question.

I have very deliberately set a long password on CC and don't use it on my work computers, but will use my phone when I'm getting too frustrated.

I actually have a problem with work commandeering his phone, so I can't say any more.

robjh

Legendary Member
I'm not working at the moment, but the workplace at which I spent most time over the last few years was remarkably laid back in practice about internet use. It was forbidden according to a strict reading of the conditions of use of company IT equipment, but everyone knew that everyone else did it to a certain extent, and as it was open-plan you could see which managers spent much of their day on ebay. Still, you wouldn't have wanted to overdo it, and much of my private use consisted of quick flicks over to certain sites, or a bit longer if working particularly early or late.

I am more or less retired, but do a little "cover" work on reception desk at an NHS clinic, where I have some internet access, including to CycleChat, so in my quiet moments I can read or list.

But this post is written on my tablet, whilst in bed and listening to local radio.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Retired some days. Not retired others. Sometimes I have 4 or 5 weeks off of the not retired days in a row. All equals lots of free time.

I tend to come on here when it is raining whilst whizzing around other forums I frequent and/or when I need a break from reading.

midlife

Guru
My NHS internet access has some sites blocked but I can use it to look at almost everything to help with my job from drug interactions to clinical commissioning guidelines. Strangely the vast amount of internet shopping sites are available as is CC.

Having said that they log every site I go to and for how long. I was flagged up once for being on line too long as I forgot to log off from Nobel Biocare website before going on holiday.

Shaun

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I work shifts and most weekends, so would post when 9 to 5 workers are, erm, at work.
Don't use computers at work, of course I have my mobile, but would not have time to browse CC as I've got very short breaks.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I am retired from my main job, but have 2 part time jobs. In one I sometimes take a sneaky look at the internet, but don't post anything and in the other, I just wouldn't get the chance to because there is too much to do. A few weeks ago though, I was at a wedding and about 10.0 at night I was a bit bored so I browsed a few web pages and posted a few things, including something on CC.

Top Bottom