Interview

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyB

Hi all,
I have just been approached by "London Tonight" who have seen some of my helmet camera commuting footage. They want to do an interview tomorrow and film me on the bike with the camera.

It's quite a terrifying prospect, any advice?

I think they want to see some of the more dodgy spots. I can also maybe point out some of the less than useful cycle lanes?

Andy

biking_fox

Guru
If you know some it is an excellant chance to point out some of the less useful cycling "facilities" - and annoying cagers. However your cycling will have to be beyond reproach.

DO you know how long the spot will be? I suspect it might be quite short. Have a think about how you can clearly express the cycling point of view, in words that a cager might understand.

pbjohnson

Andy, don't worry

Andy,

Don't worry - me and Kimberley are here for you!

They will have some very simple questions:

Why did you buy one?
Are the roads that bad?
How does having an action cam change that?
Have you used the footage?

I'll PM you Andy with my mobile number and I can 'mock interview' you this evening is you'd like - I used to work at 5 Live and the 10 O-clock news.

Cheers and I think this will be worthwhile.

Cheers,
Paul

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
biking_fox said:
If you know some it is an excellant chance to point out some of the less useful cycling "facilities" - and annoying cagers. However your cycling will have to be beyond reproach.

I'd try and work in some positivity too - a lot of these things give the impression that it's all horribly dangerous and that regular commuters must be some sort of thrill seeking loonies...

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

Thanks for that guys.

I will definitely try to keep it positive. I do try to catch the good stuff along with the bad stuff on the camera.

I will make a few notes tonight and look forward to the "mock" interview.

Hopefully I won't seem too nervous.

Excellent news! Shame it is only in London at the moment. Could someone tape this and put it on youtube later?

:angry:

Just try not to look to much like a lycra lout! ;)

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

magnatom said:
Excellent news! Shame it is only in London at the moment. Could someone tape this and put it on youtube later?

:biggrin:

Just try not to look to much like a lycra lout! ;)

I will try my best, I have my Marmite Foska top which is nice and friendly looking. :angry:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yes, I'd say have lots of answers to the obvious questions prepared as snappy comments - nothing too rambling, think how to say each thing in just a few seconds. No doubt they'll film lots and cut most of it out, so if you can be using short sharp sentences it a) makes it easier for them to cut it together, and ;) you're less likely to end up edited to a stop in the middle of a sentence - I hate it when I see that happen.

I was on Radio 4's You and Yours once talking about the Youth Hostel closures (autographs later please;)) and I prepared notes, which helped (of course, on radio, that's easier). In the end, I lost out a bit, because they asked us all to be short and concise, and I was but the chap from the Ramblers Association wasn't - he rambled! So I only got one bite at the cherry to make my point and couldn't say half of what I wanted to. So, if you can, try and make everything you say count - you don't want to end up talking yourself out of time.

Of course, the flip side is, you don't want to seem monosyllabic or robotic... And as biking-fox says, try to think in terms that a car driver will understand - if they never cycle, they won't know why 2" isn't enough space, or manhole covers are a hazard, or why you should stay away from parked cars....

;)

Yes try and keep it positive. Obviously part of the reason is to collect evidence of bad driving etc, but it is worth stressing that part of the reason for filming is for education purposes (i.e. our own and others). To try and improve our own cycling skills and to become better road users.

You've probably heard about the research that suggests that cyclists on average live for 10 years longer, despite the risks of road cycling. You could also add that recent research has shown that regular exercise makes you look 10 years younger. I'm sure there is a soundbite there:

Cycling: look 10 years younger, live 10 years longer!

:angry:

Tynan

Veteran
ask them what the questions will be, that's quite normal and shows you know what's what

let them have one 'free' question at the end

and I appreciate this is harder than it sounds, do try and seem like a normal regular person on a bike rather than a cliched cyclist

domtyler

Über Member
I would try and say how great cycling is and a great way to stay fit and work out stress. Also how quick and easy it is to get around London by bike and that you never get held up in jams.

On safety you could touch on how much you appreciate it when car drivers are patient and considerate when you take primary for safety. Keep it all positive.

Maz

Guru
Yes, keep it +ve. Don't moan about drivers or crp cycling facilities. Viewers might think we're a whinging bunch of wotsits.

pbjohnson

Magnatom - it's just london at the moment but we are trying to widen the reach. We've got the independent and Times interested (who are of course national) but are wating to get hold of Bollo's mobile number.

domtyler

Über Member
You could always spice it up a little by ranting for ten minutes about those evil, vicious bastards driving black cabs! :tongue:

Just make sure there is plenty of spittle flying about. You need to demonstrate a snot rocket too of course.

And you get a point for each CC username you manage to drop into the interview! ;)

pbjohnson said:
Magnatom - it's just london at the moment but we are trying to widen the reach. We've got the independent and Times interested (who are of course national) but are wating to get hold of Bollo's mobile number.

Good stuff. If you want to cover Scotland (no jokes now!) you would probably want to have the Herald and the Scotsman on-board as well. I assume you will be keeping out of the rif raf papers! ;)

Bollos' video is certainly an eye opener!

Top Bottom