Inverted snobbery-what is it, examples anyone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Going back to the definition of inverted snobbery, in the 1970s a common trope of snobbery and social climbing in sitcoms was "membership of the golf club". Anyway, my dad could definitely be an inverted snob at times, and around that time I remember him warning me that he would disown me if I ever took up golf.

If you want a good example of an inverted snob, look at James Bolam's character Terry in The Likely Lads.

Or just browse one of the many, many threads on here complaining bitterly about people with all the gear and no idea and more money than sense, who have gone and bought (horrors) nice bikes that are expensive.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Middle-class lefties moving to Notting Hill when it was still a No Go area.

The ones that I know who bought in Notting Hill back then did so because you could get a quite lot of house for a relatively modest amount of money. Inverse snobbery or politics had very little to do with it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Pah. I pre-date alchemy so are of a time long before crystal sets. In our day we used a peasants testicle in place of a crystal, left for MW and right for FM, both for stereo.

stephec

Legendary Member
Pah. I pre-date alchemy so are of a time long before crystal sets. In our day we used a peasants testicle in place of a crystal, left for MW and right for FM, both for stereo.

I don't want to know what you used for an aerial.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I bet they're embarrassed about being multi-millionaires now :smile:

Amazing to think it was built as expensive gentlemen’s houses in the 19th century then effectively abandoned post war as they were too big for people who couldn’t afford servants or maids. To become slum housing for immigrants. You could pick up a whole town house for £30k in the late 70s.
The Notting Hill carnival being a prime example of how gentrification has removed the West Indian population to be replaced by venture capitalists.
Just shows that everything is cyclical.

Top Bottom