Inverted snobbery-what is it, examples anyone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Basically anyone who has a brand name bike like cervelo pinnerallo, spez, Cannondale, trek, spa surly, Hewitt, BJ, enigma, are toffs imho....

I ride a old british eagle painted in Wilko RIP blue paint with 7 spd microshift gears and formula wheels...... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Chris S

Legendary Member
Just remembered a homeless guy locally who said he was proud that he had nothing, owed nothing and asked for nothing, unlike us "ants" with our mortgages, homes and families.

I know it was probably necessary bravado.

He was probably better off than most of the 'ants' as well. They are tens of thousands of pounds in debt with their mortgages, etc. He owes nothing.

A guy at work is proud of not knowing stuff and gets angry when I let random facts into the conversation when appropriate.

Other guys proud of being rubbish at maths or having bad spelling. Others proud of never having gone to school. One guy quite happily tells people he can't count above 10 and doesn't read properly, smiling and laughing like it's something to be proud of!

I think the above kind of shows something that if not inverted snobbery it's very close. They're all examples of people who are or have been in n the same company I work for.

Dolorous Edd

Without in any way meaning to put a downer on your question, in my own mind I don't very much like the term "inverted snobbery" as to me it implies there's something "ok" with normal snobbery, but "not ok" with inverted snobbery. They're both fckn awful, as far as I'm concerned.

Slick

Guru
A guy at work is proud of not knowing stuff and gets angry when I let random facts into the conversation when appropriate.

Other guys proud of being rubbish at maths or having bad spelling. Others proud of never having gone to school. One guy quite happily tells people he can't count above 10 and doesn't read properly, smiling and laughing like it's something to be proud of!

I think the above kind of shows something that if not inverted snobbery it's very close. They're all examples of people who are or have been in n the same company I work for.

I've met a few guys like that over the years and found a number of them had just come to terms with the fact that that nobody has ever taken the time to show them the myriad of tactics available for improving SPAG and their apathy for academia was a coping mechanism. I met a cracking guy some years ago now who cried when he told me the story when his son was diagnosed with dyslexia in school and he finally realised he wasn't the thick hod carrier he was always told he was and there was a reason for his confusion when it came to essential skills.

One guy was borderline learning difficulties level but combined with not seeing a point in education for a few reasons.

The guy who got angry with me for knowing stuff is actually quite clever I think but not school book clever purely because he had no interest to be. Possibly his school was pretty bad and his teachers failed to interest him. He's a bit of a thug who got a fine once for pushing the lead cyclist off a group over as the car he was in drove past. Apparently that took the whole pack out about 25 cyclists but as a young man he had little money and got fine which he paid off a few pounds a month. For two years. Worst thing was he was proud of himself! What a nice guy?!

PS I'm waiting for a start date in a new job so I'll probably not see these ppl again after a month or so. Fingers crossed nothing happens to prevent that.

gbb

Legendary Member
Genuine question, is this a British thing, to judge others ?
The one thing I learned long ago is how we seem to love judging others, complaining about and , compartmentalising people, attacking what we disagree with or dislike in others.
Is it a human characteristic, does it happen all round the world ?
Generally speaking obviously...0,

Genuine question, is this a British thing, to judge others ?
The one thing I learned long ago is how we seem to love judging others, complaining about and , compartmentalising people, attacking what we disagree with or dislike in others.
Is it a human characteristic, does it happen all round the world ?
Generally speaking obviously...0,

There's nothing special about us, not even our judgementalism.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think inverted snobbery can be wrongly attributed. Take Humphrey Littleton, he could afford better but insisted on campaigning his old Volvo 240 doing over 300,000 miles in it. I think he probably was just fond of it and enjoyed driving it.

No such car as a 240, was it a 242 or a 244 or a 245. Volvo's numbering system denote type (2) no of cylinders (4 or 6) and number of doors (2, 4 or 5) Personally the 262 was a favourite of mine

Drago

Legendary Member
There was such a car as a 240. I've had two.

You are correct in that the numbering system started out as 2(series), 6(cylinders), 2(door) and the like. So 262 was the coupe, 245 estate, 244 saloon, 242 two door saloon etc.

However, in the early 80's it was rationalised and became 240 and 260 where the first digit was the series, second digit number of cylinders, and the 3rd meaning nothing in particukar.

This carried on into the 7 series, but towards it end it was changed again where 740 simply denoted lower spec and/or power and 760 higher spec and/or power regardless of cylinder numbers etc.

Top Bottom