IOC VP Wants cycling out of the olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A bit of an overreaction to a couple of riders getting busted- punish the whole cycling community, athletes and fans alike.

yello

That's nonsense. Thomas Bach should engage brain before opening his gob. Punish the majority for the actions of the minority?

Doping is not just a problem for cycling but for sport in general (notably athletics). It's a problem to be tackled by all - has he no faith in the IOC testing procedures??

mondobongo

Über Member
Bach's comments were countered by Pat McQuaid who reminded Bach that Cycling was not the only sport with serious doping problems.

I suggest Bach opens his eyes and has a look at Athletics not that they have any problems.

mondobongo

Über Member
Maybe the IOC should put its own house in order first. Apparently inaccuracies in the reporting of negatives, huge gaps in athlete whereabouts something that Cycling leads in. Full Story.

Keith Oates

Janner
On the world scene cycling is probably one of the minor disciplines so it's easy for the IOC to show how important and tough you are by pushing around the minnows. One thing is for sure cycling will not suffer if it's left out of the Olympics there are more than enough big races and championships going on each year to keep all riders busy and happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates said:
On the world scene cycling is probably one of the minor disciplines so it's easy for the IOC to show how important and tough you are by pushing around the minnows. One thing is for sure cycling will not suffer if it's left out of the Olympics there are more than enough big races and championships going on each year to keep all riders busy and happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think Ms Pendleton and Mr Hoy might beg to differ on that. Also, it's the Olympic success of Team GB that is helping to promote cycling in this country. World Champs don't resonate with the public as much as the Olympics does.

andygates

The same sorts of "clean up or we drop you" threats get put about for any sport with a dirty image; ironically Olympic cycling is pretty darn clean. A bit of a non-story given its timing; perhaps a shot across the bows of the peloton to clean up or else...

Landslide

Rare Migrant
yello said:
...Punish the majority for the actions of the minority?...

Personally, I reckon that cycling's a lot cleaner than it's ever been, but recent events show there's still a problem - would anyone care to venture an opinion as to what percentage of the peloton are currently cheating?

andygates said:
The same sorts of "clean up or we drop you" threats get put about for any sport with a dirty image; ironically Olympic cycling is pretty darn clean. A bit of a non-story given its timing; perhaps a shot across the bows of the peloton to clean up or else...
Track maybe, but the road and TT are too close to the pro-scene to get a clean bill of health.

If we the this seriously - in the run up to Beijing saw 37 athletes who were disqualified for positive drugs tests - not one a cyclist!

We certainly need to ban track events as 7 of these were runners!

Five horses were found positive - so that's equestrian sports out as well!

As many Heptaheletes were found positive as cyclists - ban the feild events!

As many hurdlers failed tests as cyclists - ban hurdling?

It is a problem, but let's keep it in perspective - Cycling is far from beingth worst sport, simply the only one that seems to be bent of destroying itself in the process of fighting the problem.

Cunobelin said:
It is a problem, but let's keep it in perspective - Cycling is far from beingth worst sport, simply the only one that seems to be bent of destroying itself in the process of fighting the problem.
Perhaps the post Tour drug busts provide that perspective.
And how on earth is it "destroying itself in the process of fighting the problem"?

Keith Oates

Janner
Chuffy said:
I think Ms Pendleton and Mr Hoy might beg to differ on that. Also, it's the Olympic success of Team GB that is helping to promote cycling in this country. World Champs don't resonate with the public as much as the Olympics does.

The Olympic efforts of Ms Pendleton (why are my hands shaking when I write that) and Mr. Hoy coupled with another Welsh lady and others have raised the profile of cycling in this country but Cycling is still not to forefront of the majority of sports fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom