iON Air Pro 3 Condensation Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChangFai

Anyone got experience of this "sports camera"?
https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/video-cameras/action-cameras/1401424/ion-air-pro-3-wi-fi-review

I had been keeping an eye out for a bike camera (discussed on another thread) and I spotted a seller on ebay with a few ion air pro 3's for sale.

Originally he wanted a £100 each, but after a few weeks the price started to drop.

I contacted him and offered him £45 + the £5 he wanted for postage, which he accepted.

I have had the camera for a week now, and at first I was happy, picture quality was very decent, battery life was about 2.5 hours which was fine.

But the last two times I have used it, I have had a problem with condensation on the inside of the lens front.

It seems to happen the longer the camera runs, so I guess it gets hotter inside than the temperature outside, and condensation appears?

Considering the camera is supposed to be waterproof, I find this puzzling.

I have the option of returning the camera to the seller within 30 days, which I guess I will now do, although it looks like I may have to pay the postage.

But I am curious:

Does this happen with other cameras?

Is there something I can do to fix this problem?

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

ion_air_pro_3_1_0.jpg

OP
OP
ChangFai

ChangFai

So, more a single camera problem then?

vickster

Legendary Member
Or no one has any experience of the camera.
I’d return as faulty and so you shouldn‘t have to pay the postage. Otherwise, if bought on eBay did you use PayPal and have you registered for refund of return fees?

I have 3 similar cameras. diff. brands (Polaroid & Metroflash), but same form factor

I use mine in the water all the time. buying used, one never knows what abuse has been put upon the unit

sounds like it needs to dry out

unscrew the cover (they are replaceable) & leave the unit in a sunny spot for a day w/ the back cover off too. then screw it all back together & see if that helps. while the cover is off wipe it with a soft lens cloth too. if you have access to the lens, you might give that a gentle wipe while you're at it

3 sportcams.jpg

Last edited:
actually just remembered I have 4 of these. regardless, while using one of them this weekend I abused it pretty well & developed the condensation on the inside of the lens cover. this results in very soft images

I'll try removing the screws now that I'm home. I had tried to do this on the beach w/ a pocket knife blade. here's hoping I didn't ruin the tiny Philips head screws!

BTW I started searching for the replacement lens kits but couldn't find any here in the US

got the cover off. found a little "puddle" of water on the black gasket. cleaned it all out & wiped the lens parts & got it back together. had the A/C on today w/ a fan. the condensation was coming & going yesterday depending on temperature, so it makes sense that it would puddle up somewhere. this was the 1st one I bought & the one that has suffered the most abuse. the lens cover has a cpl scratches at one side so maybe I'll use the others I have more often
IMG_6999.JPG

this is what it looks like w/o the lens cover
IMG_6996.JPG

the lens cover is a dome that fits w/ just compression. very exacting tolerances. but easy enough to pry off
IMG_6994.JPG

IMG_6995.JPG

what it looks like w/o the retaining ring
IMG_7007.JPG

Last edited:
the screws were no picnic & I had to use a combination of tiny philips & straight screw drivers. also some vise grips so I could apply slight more pressure than just my finger tips. still required a light touch, especially when torquing them back down
IMG_7004.JPG

IMG_7003.JPG

IMG_7010.JPG

IMG_7008.JPG

IMG_7011.JPG

IMG_7012.JPG

these are very cool & durable cameras. crash diving, from several hundred feet, under a kite, into the ocean & rambling over gravel, under waves, is probably beyond the manufacturer's design & testing. did it about 6 times a cpl days ago, but got a nice pic of our favorite secret beach on Martha's Vineyard. bonus that the white sharks aren't this far north yet
LB Cove best ACTP0618 CROPPED (2).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom