iPad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
threebikesmcginty said:
I hate him already...
At the family party that coincided with him just having purchased an iPhone, he insisted on taking everyone's picture for the contact details on it. And talked about it as if it were the second coming (as Mr. Brigstocke said "You bought it, you didn't bloody invent it").

IME, Apple do things a lot of other stuff does better in a slightly flashier way. They also lock things into their closed systems, and somehow get away with it in a way microsoft never would. So the iPad doesn't have a camera etc? There's your next hardware refresh then - look forward to paying out again in 6 months to a year to get the stuff that should have been on it to start with.

PpPete

Legendary Member
arallsopp said:
I'd also buy one if they reduced the price point considerably, spiral bound the top edge, and supplied an iPencil as a built in print on demand stylus, but then that's surely sci-fi.

ROFL

PpPete

Legendary Member
If I hadn't just bought a netbook, I might have added the iPad to the list of possibles. As it is, I'll wait to see if it lives up to the hype, and maybe wait on v2 or v3.
Thing is iPhone has become so ubiquitous (am I the only one who doesnt have one and doesnt want one?) that I think this could be another winner for them.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
The fact that a device of this nature and price can't multitask should have people rolling around laughing, clutching their sides. £400 - £500 for something that will let you have one app open at at time? If Microsoft had shown off their new tablet last week with that feature they'd have been laughed off in seconds.

It might have a slick interface, but to hobble a device like that is just stupid.

"But a netbook doesn't do ANYTHING better!", said smuggo Jobs.
I beg to differ - I can browse whilst playing music, or tab out of a game to check new tweets on Seesmic, and open a link from a tweet in the browser. ALL AT THE SAME TIME. It also has things like wireless, decent internal storage and user-upgradeable hardware as standard.

MS-DOS-style operations with a touch-screen front end. Fail.

Downward

Guru
This thing is huge.

I take it you will have to sit down with it on your lap to use or something ?
I'd stick to a netbook to be fair. How much will Apple charge for this thing, gotta be £500.

rh100

goo_mason said:
The fact that a device of this nature and price can't multitask should have people rolling around laughing, clutching their sides. £400 - £500 for something that will let you have one app open at at time? If Microsoft had shown off their new tablet last week with that feature they'd have been laughed off in seconds.

It might have a slick interface, but to hobble a device like that is just stupid.

"But a netbook doesn't do ANYTHING better!", said smuggo Jobs.
I beg to differ - I can browse whilst playing music, or tab out of a game to check new tweets on Seesmic, and open a link from a tweet in the browser. ALL AT THE SAME TIME. It also has things like wireless, decent internal storage and user-upgradeable hardware as standard.

MS-DOS-style operations with a touch-screen front end. Fail.

+1

I don't see the point

it's like the iphone which can't be tethered to a laptop to act as a 3g modem like just about all other phones can.

also - how on earth do they get the price difference on iphones just for memory differences - people are being ripped off - should just have an expansion slot and buy a few gig as you need it.

Downward

Guru
rh100 said:
+1

I don't see the point

it's like the iphone which can't be tethered to a laptop to act as a 3g modem like just about all other phones can.

also - how on earth do they get the price difference on iphones just for memory differences - people are being ripped off - should just have an expansion slot and buy a few gig as you need it.

Cause people are foolish enough to pay for it.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
It's brilliant, this thread is approaching (at least) its silver jubilee.

Admittedly back in the 80's the same people were writing:

'Mouse? Over hyped Apple nonsense for those that can't type!'
'GUI? I can jack off over my command line faster than they can double click'.
etc, etc. . .

People should reserve getting worked up for things that really matter. This doesn't; all that's happened is a consumer orientated manufacturing company has released a product onto the open market. The proof of whether that's a smart move is if it generates a reasonable return on their investment. Only time will tell.

darkstar said:
The main advantages i can see involve using it to read books (online books are becoming more and more popular), watch films and play games.

Providing they get the price right.... I use a Sony ereader, and some boks are stupid prices:

Westminster Poisoner £7.19 paperback

Westminster Poisoner £32.99 Ebook

As long as some ebooks are 4 times the price of the paperback - they will not catch on

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I currently have no mobile phone (could perhaps do with one) and have been thinking about getting a net book and wouldn't want to listen to music on headphones while emailing. So for somebody like me do you experts think this would make sense because it involves making only one purchase? Does anybody know if you can wire up one of those slim Apple keyboards to it for typing longer documents?

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Well, I don't have a single piece of Apple hardware but I'd love one of these, for all the reasons why I don't have an Iphone.

I do like tablet devices but for me they've either been too big or too small. No fun poking round an onscreen keyboard with a stylus whereas this one looks easily big enough to just finger tap the keys.

The price is a bit steep, though, but perhaps not that bad considering you're getting a functional ebook reader with a large screen.

So here am I keen to buy one. Will I? No - if it can't multitask then it's no good to man or beast. If I can't do something as basic as listen to itunes while reading a book or writing an email, then basically it can go hang. I'm just hoping this doesn't turn out to be the case.

John

Top Bottom