iPhone apps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
johnnyh said:
often use your 17" screen when out and about do you?

I tend to be at home with a computer near or at work sitting in front of a computer. The rest of the time I am driving (so have no use for whatever it does) or doing something of interest (cycling camping gardening painting family etc).
I dont know if I am ever in a situation where I am wandering around a town and suddenly want to find out some info on a national trust house or where the nearest camra pub is or whatever.
I did take my netbook camping in holland which was of use to find info on places of interest but I really dont know what an iphone does that would be of use to me.
Is the internet not better for information and a DS better for games for kids?

johnnyh

Veteran
why not have one device that combines many tasks?

I can even use vnc on my iphone to take control of client servers - sure it is a bit fiddly, but beats dragging a laptop/netbook everywhere I go.

it also means I always have a camera on me, a map/tom tom, my email from my exchange server, a notebook and internet access... and that's before non work use - iplayer, ipod, and the odd game.

but, each to their own and the world would be a boring place if we all thought alike :ohmy:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Over The Hill said:
I will admit I know nothing on the subject as the sum of my knowlege is from the adverts on TV. The ad went through about five things and each seemed utterly pointless or reproducing what you have already (a phone list with your contacts).

So take your Estate Agent thing. You sell high value houses. I can get all the features you list on the usual Rightmove site which comes up on my 17" screen not on a silly phone screen the size of a post it note. Is it not just like going on line but looking through a small hole at everything? Also I would use Rightmove as it has all agents properties and not just your firms. Or do I need to get one for each agent and go through each one in turn?

Just seems like the internet but you have to get a ticket to go onto each site you may want in the future.

Perhaps I am sounding like an old git here but you really have not given me anything I have not already got but on pathetically small screen.

Rightmove have there own application as well and find a property have one.

Obviously if you have a computer infront of you, then you would use that. But what if your out on the move. On the train and you want to confirm something. Or you want to show your family a property your thinking of buying when you don't have easy access to a computer.

Obviously the iPhone and mobile internet isn't for everyone, but some people couldn't live* without them.

* As i've heard time and time again from people who use their device for e-mails.

abrooks100

Cyclemeter

Cyclemeter is for me a must for all cyclists who own an Iphone!
In my opinion much better than iMapmyride and any of the other training apps out their. I should know as I have tried quite a lot trying to find the best one.

Really cool to track your rides, record your results, split times, climbs, speed. etc. Can email to friends and you get updates spoken to you through your headphones. Also works with Facebook & Twitter if anyone is into that!

Really cool piece of kit.

Has certainly improved my training and gave me more focus when on rides.

abrooks100 said:
In my opinion much better than iMapmyride and any of the other training apps out their. I should know as I have tried quite a lot trying to find the best one.

Really cool to track your rides, record your results, split times, climbs, speed. etc. Can email to friends and you get updates spoken to you through your headphones. Also works with Facebook & Twitter if anyone is into that!

I go the other way and leave my watch at home and enjoy the ride!

jimheaney57

abrooks100 said:

Have to agree. Only problem is it runs the battery down quite quickly. A full charge will get you no more than 3 hours. I got a Mohpie additional battery pack so I can get up to about 8 hours using that.

Probably won't use it much in the future as I've just got myself a Garmin 310XT, a multi sport GPS watch. It's pricey but is a real mean piece of hardware.

karen.488walker

bad boy said:
runkeeper pro for running and cycling is amazing

+1 fab app.
Disagree with Panter. I don't think you can live without an iphone!
(love
doodlejump,
torch,aroundme and vouchercloud are essential.
lego is fun
Mine even tells me when I'm ovulating!)
when is the cyclechat app coming out?

Plax

Guru
Has the iphone got a camera and if so what megapixel is it?
I'm due an upgrade to my phone in a few months and could in theory get an iphone. However I use my phone purely for calls, texts, an alarm clock and the camera (it's an 8 megapixel). I'll occassionally use the calculator but I find the internet too slow and fiddly to bother with.
If it hasn't got a camera better than 8 megapixels it's not worth bothering with.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Plax said:
Has the iphone got a camera and if so what megapixel is it?
I'm due an upgrade to my phone in a few months and could in theory get an iphone. However I use my phone purely for calls, texts, an alarm clock and the camera (it's an 8 megapixel). I'll occassionally use the calculator but I find the internet too slow and fiddly to bother with.
If it hasn't got a camera better than 8 megapixels it's not worth bothering with.

Sadly, the camera is pants :laugh:

Well, it's Ok for snapshots, but nothing better than that.

iain

abrooks100 said:

+1 for Cyclemeter - log every ride with it. I've tried a few too and this one seems to be the best.

brokenbetty

Über Member
iBlast Moki is a top game, a bit like lemmings but more chilled out

talking of chilled out, everyone should have Bloom. I won't tell you about it, just grab it and have a play :sad:

I think the best iphone games are the simple ones, so I love
BoxofSox (ridiculously playable sock-matching game!)
Doodlejump
plus a sudoku app for playing when you need to be able to look away without falling down or getting covered in socks :biggrin:

Also there is Arvale - Journey of Illusion. It's an old school point-and-click (tap?) adventure game. The gameplay is limited but the story is quite good and the cheesy sense of humour lifts it to another level.

fixmystreet is a bit buggy but lets you take a photo of a street problem and report it to the relevant council based on your current location (also have a website, I recommend them)

Everyone needs a conversion app, I use mine loads (Convertbot)

I use the ebay app for making sure I get bids in (I don't like sniper apps).

The facebook app is handy, especially because you can link from a facebook invitation to the map location

like 99% of my company, I got an iphone they day they blocked access to all email and social networking sites from work :laugh:

johnnyh

Veteran
Plax said:

odd that cause my old canon 20D and 30D take outstanding photos without exceeding 8mp.

The camera isnt fantastic, but it can produce good results.

Top Bottom