iphone as bike computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Cano

Not being great with technology and currently owning the iphone 3gs, which i have been using to track my rides using the gps and mapmyride or sports tracker. I now wish to add other devices such as speed sensor and possibly heart rate monitor.
What do I need so that the iphone can see/pickup each device?

Tony

Not being great with technology and currently owning the iphone 3gs, which i have been using to track my rides using the gps and mapmyride or sports tracker. I now wish to add other devices such as speed sensor and possibly heart rate monitor.
What do I need so that the iphone can see/pickup each device?

Tony
One of these but make sure its right for your phone as I know nothing about mobiles as such. You will also need an Ant+ speed/cadence and/or an Ant+ HRM belt. both these can then be used with dedicated gps units like the Garmin Edge series.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75386&gclid=CKPdw6KL3rMCFbMbtAodCCcAvA

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I'm not sure its that great an idea tbh, youd probably need to check that the sensors work with both the app you want and your handset and it'll presumably eat more battery power. If you want to be able to see your stats while your riding the screens going to have to be on and from experience most smartphone screens bleed the battery dry quite quickly, you'll also need a decent bike mount that wont drop your phone on the road or let in rain or even damp/foggy air. Maybe turn the gps app on and turn the screen on permanently if you can, see how much battery you eat per hour to see if the battery can keep up.

Given you're looking buying ANT+ adapter, HRM strap, bike sensors, probably even parts of £100, you might be better looking at getting a Garmin Edge/Forerunner in the <£200 range, which would probably do the job better. More accurate gps, much much better battery life etc.

Smartphone tracking is awesome on a basic level, but it does have its limitations IMHO. :smile:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I've run a wahoo bike kit for a year and its been great. For anything over a couple of hours I found that I needed the battery pack that goes with it. Paired with speed/cadence/hr sensors its given me all I need.

I've even had the phone and case fall off the bike (my fault, didn't make sure it clicked into the mount). It was run over by a car and a van and there wasn't a mark on it.

Cyclemeter can't really be beaten although I'd like an easier way to upload to strava other than emailing from the app.

In the last few days my wahoo case has developed a fault (its just out of warranty) where I have trouble with the phone seeing the ant+ dongle. I suspect it's to do with the way the phone has to come in/out of the case which is quite an angle which might have stressed the connector.. Although of course it might have been the van! So I'm buying a garmin 500 which has much better PM support, something which ill need next month when I buy myself a large Christmas pressie.

Tony - not sure cyclemeter app will work with your iPhone. Check if your phone can take IOS4.3. If it can't & mine can't, you can't install cyclemeter (along with many many other apps now including BBC iPlayer which my OH was after and mapmyride cycling which I was after). Regretfully with it being an app you have to pay for I can't even simply find someone with the same phone/model as me and transfer the free app (and it only works for free apps) behind the scenes which is rapdily becoming the only way of getting apps on the older iPhones. If it can take IOS4.3 then you are fine for the moment, but it is a case of sort it out sooner rather than later else you have a good reason for an expensive christmas present - something I can't afford.

Kins

Über Member
The Holux 130 pro looks good because I walk lots as well, seems a decent device that would do multi function well. After a quick search can't find any sellers though. :sad:

The Holux 130 pro looks good because I walk lots as well, seems a decent device that would do multi function well. After a quick search can't find any sellers though. :sad:
try this
http://www.wolf-gear.com/index.php/en/instruments/16-gps/78-holux-funtrek-130
the Bryton Rider 50 is also good, but has limited connectivity I believe,

OP
OP
Tony Cano

Tony Cano

Tony - not sure cyclemeter app will work with your iPhone. Check if your phone can take IOS4.3. If it can't & mine can't, you can't install cyclemeter (along with many many other apps now including BBC iPlayer which my OH was after and mapmyride cycling which I was after). Regretfully with it being an app you have to pay for I can't even simply find someone with the same phone/model as me and transfer the free app (and it only works for free apps) behind the scenes which is rapdily becoming the only way of getting apps on the older iPhones. If it can take IOS4.3 then you are fine for the moment, but it is a case of sort it out sooner rather than later else you have a good reason for an expensive christmas present - something I can't afford.

I recently updated my iphone to IOS 6.0.1 and trying out the Cyclemeter app. It certainty uses less battery power than mapmyride or Sports Tracker, but I quite like the look of Sports Tracker and the web site that goes with it.
After looking at all the variations in equipment I'm now thinking of the Wahoo bike kit as it seems to do all that's required. Thought of getting the Garmin edge 500 or 800 but price wise its to far out my range (saving for a new bike) which definitely comes before computer technology! besides don't really want to have that and a phone out with me and i like the thought of a phone in case i get into trouble!
Only thing I'm not sure of is, is the Wahoo kit compatible with other technology such as gym equipment (will the HRM pair up with a treadmill)

thanks Tony

OP
OP
Tony Cano

Tony Cano

You would generally be better with a pukka bike computer/GPS. Especially if you intend to ride in the wet.

I am riding in the wet at the moment with my iphone in its Biologic bike case which is robust and waterproof, I was only going to change to the Wahoo case as it has an attachment for external battery. Unfortunately the more i add the greater the cost becomes.that's why I'm stuck between the dedicated bike computer/GPS and the iphone that i already have if that makes sense?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get a dedicated unit. I've got an andriod phone, and whilst I have done strava and ride logs on it, it's a pain. I already have an Edge 705, but for commuting I went and bought an Edge 200. Far less messing than fiddling with a phone, and they are much smaller and have less clutter. They also perform better due to pukka GPS chipsets.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I use Cyclemeter on my 3GS with the Wahoo bike case, HRM, speed and cadence sensors and it is great! I don't trust the calorie burn on Cyclemeter though; I export the .tcx file of my ride to Strava and use that data. Strava isn't perfect, but it is more accurate than Cyclemeter!

Top Bottom