Iphone vs Computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cambie

Hi all.
Just returned to cycling after nearly 20yrs. A lot has changed (including my fitness).

I've bought a road bike and was about to buy a computer for it when I noticed the various apps on my phone. So, what is best? A dedicated bike computer or a decent iphone mount?

Thanks.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Don't have either, but my imagination tells me that a computer will have been built for purpose, so it should probably be better. I-phone is probably a good short term solution, but I'd also imagine that it will do most things you need it to do. My imagination is a tiny bit warped at times though, so probably best to wait for some more input...

iggibizzle

Get Strava on your iPhone. It's free and brilliant. That's all I use. Stick it in my back pocket and upload the ride when I get home. Although I don't follow pre made routes and I'm not bothered about looking at my speed. Probably best with one of them garmin devices for all that.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got a small computer on my bike Sigma 1606L so that I can look at my speed (when I'm feeling like I'm going really slow- but it doesn't help) and so I can see the time (I'm often running late), but mainly to keep a running total of mileage. And then I have an iPhone in my pannier running Strava. I don't look at it at all other than to start or stop recording the trip.

What do you want the computer to do

vickster

Legendary Member
What do you want it to do? Be aware that strava et al are quite battery hungry so you may want a back up for longer rides (2+ hours)

I personally don't trust handlebar mounts for phones, may just be that the one I had was poor (although not cheap) - I was lucky I had no cars behind the couple of times it flew off the handlebars!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've found that the Strava app doesn't seem to record a ride as accurately as my Garmin does. GPS seems to wander slightly, at times, on the phone. My missus has had trouble with the app recording only half a ride at times. She's bought a Garmin now.

bpsmith

Veteran
Used iPhone as stop gap and soon realised that it wouldn't do the job for me, as I like to look at stats when riding and there's no chance I would risk a mount for my iPhone.

Then I looked at the Wahoo offering that mount on handlebars and displays everything from your iPhone and is Strava compatible.

Then thought, if I am spending the same as a GPS computer on that then I would grab a Garmin 200, but my mate found a deal on the Garmin 510 so we both bought one of those. Not disappointed whatsoever!

I actually carry the iPhone too and run LiveTrack so my Wife doesn't worry that I am safe. Works great, as she can check where I am and that I am still moving, and means that she can stick food on for when I get back or put the water on as I always forget. Lol. I usually ride Solo, hence the worry.

The iPhone also auto uploads to Garmin Connect on completing a ride and then that Sync's to Strava without needing to connect to my Mac. Great kit!

rd83

I used Strava app in my back pocket for a while but always intended to get a Garmin Edge 200. I use a Garmin for running and am used to the reliable data, it provides, so finally got myself the bike one and am not disappointed. No setup, no wires, and you can still load data in to Strava if you wish after your ride. The phone apps are ok, but you have to trust your mount, and risk running out of phone battery. If you've got the budget, get one, Garmins start at £70ish for the Edge 200.

I used the strava app with my android phone a few times but I'd run it as a back up; wouldn't trust a mount either, and anyway I prefer my phone battery life to be there when I want it and not a limit to my ride.

iggibizzle

I got one of them mophie rechargeable cases for my phone. Doubles battery life. Wouldn't mind one of these garmin things in future, but I don't have a computer at home. Just iphone for Internet. Presuming you have to plug the garmin into a computer to upload to Strava?

bpsmith

Veteran
I got one of them mophie rechargeable cases for my phone. Doubles battery life. Wouldn't mind one of these garmin things in future, but I don't have a computer at home. Just iphone for Internet. Presuming you have to plug the garmin into a computer to upload to Strava?
Double the weight or more too.

Check out my post above regarding uploading via iPhone.

Top Bottom