Ireland. Hoping to tour Ireland in a few

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wally

Über Member
months. Was going to get a train from London, ferry to Dublin area, and across through Athlone ending up in Mayo. I've got a Lonely Planet 'Cycle Ireland' book, but would be grateful for any advice. Cheers. This will be my first tour anywhere.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Take waterproofs:biggrin:

Sounds like a nice idea

JackE

Über Member
Ireland

The roads between Dublin and Athlone (even the "quieter" ones) can be very busy at times. You might want to consider the train or one of the 2 canals (Royal and Grand) that link Dublin with the West. The towpaths are being gradually improved and should be fine for a touring bike. The Grand Canal goes south of Athlone to Balinalsoe, while the Royal enters the Shannon near Longford.

jags

Guru
hi wally,i live on the northeast coast 30 miles from dublin,i could show you a nice route as far as kells around 25 miles from there you could head to virginia nice little town there's a campsite there stay overnight then next day head to athlone ,if your doing b/b i think the prices are around 37 euro a night so you would be better off bringing your tent ,as far as i know there's campsites in virgina/mullingar/athlone.

OP
OP
W

Wally

Über Member
Want to be in the West really, but don't want to put my bike on a plane. Would I be able to put it on a train from Dun Laoghaire to say, Westport?

JackE

Über Member
Trains for the West leave from Heuston Station (not far from the Guinness brewery!!). I'm not sure if you can take a bike on the DART train from Dun Laoighre to the City Centre. If you can, get off at Eden Quay and cycle down the south quays on the one-way system.

OP
OP
W

Wally

Über Member
Cheers Jack ! I've travelled from Heuston to Galway before, and had a good drink at the station. The Guinness there is too good, I might not get out of the station.

JackE

Über Member
I was brought up in Athlone so know the Heuston to Galway train very well.
When you're in Mayo there is a magical place, called Silver Strand, which is at the end of the (minor) coast road south from Louisburgh. It's a tiny sheltered bay and (because of the Gulf Stream) the water is "relatively" warm (for Ireland) and the swimming is wonderful. We wild camped there many years ago and my English/Dutch pals were enchanted by the place.

jags

Guru
im've never been down that part of the country would you belive ,i guess it could make a nice tour in summer if my other plans hit the wall.
im from louth btw other end of country.

Top Bottom