Ireland to Japan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donmarcos

Regular
Hi

If anyone is thinking about doing an extended long distance ride or is thinking of tourning with their teenage child, check-out my blog:

www.bugbitten.com/father_son_cycle

My son Sam & I cycled around 9,700 miles from the west coast of Ireland (Dingle) in August 2008, reaching Tokyo in March 2009. The route went via Wales, France, along the Danube through Germany, Austria & Hungary, then through Rumania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran, India (Pakistan was closed), Thailand (Burma was also closed!), Cambodia, Laos, N.Vietnam, China, South Korea and Japan.

We rode Dawes Super Galaxies and had very few problems. We covered around 83 miles a day average but took a couple of 4 week holidays en route. The trip cost about £8k. I'd have spent more than that staying at home!

The father & son bit (I was 50, he was 18) was tough at times but very worthwhile. I thought it would be a big learning experience for him but in fact I think I grew the most.

Key cycling points -

1. 700c wheel touring bike is the best unless you are going way off road, BUT get your rims drilled in advance to take Schrader valves. Although 700c innertubes are harder to find, the presta valve type are near impossible outside Western Europe. We used Schwalb Marathon Plus. Two sets (changed in India along with cassette & Wipperman chain) and I only got one puncture. My son had straight Marathons up to India and got 15 punctures due to thistles whilst looking for a place to camp.

2. Don't take too much stuff. Especially clothes. You can always buy more. 2 pairs of padded cycle shorts + 2 Lycra tops / football shirts. Long sleeved best or you'll use ton of sun cream. Lightweight performance trousers for evenings + 2 shirts & microfleece. 1 lightweight waterproof cycle jacket. 5 pairs of socks & 2 pairs of underpants. Lightweight surf shorts for swimming or casual wear. Cap / hat for avoiding sunstroke. That's it.

Camped in Europe then mostly hostals & cheap hotels after Budapest. Camping necessary in Iran though due to 100 miles plus between towns (hardly any villages even).

Any questions, let me know.

Mark

Mark.....Not sure what to say, I'm very impressed! One day!

OP
OP
D

Donmarcos

Regular
Mark.....Not sure what to say, I'm very impressed! One day!

Tollers
Before we did it we thought it would be very hard. In fact it was a matter of whether we could make it or not. After about 5 weeks we realised it was not a matter of whether we COULD make it, just a matter of whether we wanted to. At the end I felt slightly disappointed that it hadn't been tougher. We could also have done it on less money, especially if we'd camped more. The hard bit was taking the time off work but that turns out to be the best decision I ever made.
Good luck!

Tollers
Before we did it we thought it would be very hard. In fact it was a matter of whether we could make it or not. After about 5 weeks we realised it was not a matter of whether we COULD make it, just a matter of whether we wanted to. At the end I felt slightly disappointed that it hadn't been tougher. We could also have done it on less money, especially if we'd camped more. The hard bit was taking the time off work but that turns out to be the best decision I ever made.
Good luck!

Ah. You're a masochist then ;) My travels and adventures have always tended to be more of the flashpacker ilk. Slumming it in the countryside, then checking into a 5* hotel at the first sight of a city....Except for when i worked down a mine in Turkey.

I've never had the chance to do something anything like what you and Sam did. I'm really quite jealous and look forward to a time when i can just think "sod it" and have a proper adventure.

How was your relationship with your son before and after?

Tollers

I'll echo a Mark, with a 'Mart' and say "Well done". Welcome to the forum and I suspect your post would receive welcome response from the 'Touring and Expedition' bit. Plenty of other places to show your face, so - go for it Mark! :smile: (No, not you Mark - the other one! :rolleyes: )

:smile:

Mark. Just so Teef's post makes..aherm... sense
whistling.gif
.....let me mention that i'm also a Mark

Just like to say..... so blooming jealous, like the rest of the guys and girls, my traveling experience is cycling from my home town to the Mourne mountains (about 55 miles), getting seriously soaked en route, camping for the night and being kept awake by the mysterious sheep noises, then cycling home and resting for a month. lol.
Welcome to the forum.

Top Bottom