Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
The Carse is amazing in good weather but if it's windy it's only fun under specific circumstances. Easily the worst part was that the shop in my village kept rubbish hours and the next nearest was in Errol which could be "challenging" to get to on a night like this, to put it mildly.

The omnidirectional headwind north of the Sidlaws and south of the Cairngorms is a different matter entirely. Well documented by those crazy audax types, I understand.
I have tended to explore the north hillier side in most recent rides, I've still to mooch around the Lundie area..
(let's just say it has a lot to answer for:laugh:).
I love the area...
hopefully more visits in '19:okay:

Slick

Guru
The Carse of Gowrie/Sidlaws route, assuming starting at the RRS Discovery: https://www.strava.com/routes/16326721
The cycle path west out of the city past the airport is ok, Perth Road is also not terrible. Don't ride on Riverside Drive unless it's late in the evening, though. Lots of excellent little back roads out towards Abernyte so get your explore on.

I'll see if I can tidy up my data from an event in Monikie that a friend put on a couple of years ago.
You were right, it was dark but I felt quite comfortable for most of the ride until I took a wrong turn or missed my turn would probably be a better description and ended up in Coupar Angus and my excuse will always be that dark didn't quite cover it as it was as black as hells waistcoat up there. It really all started to go wrong not long after that, first my phone went flat as I've never used it for mapping before then my additional lights on my hat went then worst of all, my new fancy 1600 lumen light went into get you home mode which is like trying to see by candlelight.

I started to doubt where I was as I didn't have a clue, so I knocked someone's door who sent me down to Longforgan and I saw a dropped curb so just went for it but soon realised my mistake as I was on the dual. Just as I was trying to work out if I should go back or not I ran over something metal and got a blowout. Ffs, managed to eventually boot the sidewall and came across a huge accident on the opposite carriageway where a couple of cars had obviously lost control and crossed the cycle path I should have been on before going into the fields. I hope everyone was okay.

It was eventful, but it was still a great ride that I enjoyed very much despite the really poor preparation. I didn't really have the energy to try your other suggestion the following night especially in the sub zero temperatures so I opted for the pan flat ride along the sea front to Carnoustie which ended up much less eventful.

Thanks for the route, I would never have went up there without your suggestion. :thumbsup:

You were right, it was dark but I felt quite comfortable for most of the ride until I took a wrong turn or missed my turn would probably be a better description and ended up in Coupar Angus and my excuse will always be that dark didn't quite cover it as it was as black as hells waistcoat up there. It really all started to go wrong not long after that, first my phone went flat as I've never used it for mapping before then my additional lights on my hat went then worst of all, my new fancy 1600 lumen light went into get you home mode which is like trying to see by candlelight.

I started to doubt where I was as I didn't have a clue, so I knocked someone's door who sent me down to Longforgan and I saw a dropped curb so just went for it but soon realised my mistake as I was on the dual. Just as I was trying to work out if I should go back or not I ran over something metal and got a blowout. Ffs, managed to eventually boot the sidewall and came across a huge accident on the opposite carriageway where a couple of cars had obviously lost control and crossed the cycle path I should have been on before going into the fields. I hope everyone was okay.

It was eventful, but it was still a great ride that I enjoyed very much despite the really poor preparation. I didn't really have the energy to try your other suggestion the following night especially in the sub zero temperatures so I opted for the pan flat ride along the sea front to Carnoustie which ended up much less eventful.

Blimey, sounds like you've been on an adventure! Easy to see where the mistake was made, the first turn for Abernyte is easy to miss as it's on the inside corner of a descent, and the one on the route I created is at a crossroads - the way you needed to go is signposted Collace, not Abernyte. If you'd kept going you'd have ended up in Braemar :stop:

The Knapp road and its surroundings at night is an eerie place to be even when you know where you're going, so am glad that you made it back in one piece (A90 blowout notwithstanding...) and showed remarkably good judgement in not following one of my routes a second time :smile:

Thanks for the route, I would never have went up there without your suggestion. :thumbsup:
Not sure whether that is sincere or sarcasm :laugh:

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Blimey, sounds like you've been on an adventure! Easy to see where the mistake was made, the first turn for Abernyte is easy to miss as it's on the inside corner of a descent, and the one on the route I created is at a crossroads - the way you needed to go is signposted Collace, not Abernyte. If you'd kept going you'd have ended up in Braemar :stop:

The Knapp road and its surroundings at night is an eerie place to be even when you know where you're going, so am glad that you made it back in one piece (A90 blowout notwithstanding...) and showed remarkably good judgement in not following one of my routes a second time :smile:

Not sure whether that is sincere or sarcasm :laugh:
Haha, it was honestly sincere as I enjoyed all of it despite everything. It wouldn't of nearly have been so dramatic if I'd known roughly where I was or even if I'd planned it better by making sure everything was fully charged as you did warn me. Even the missed turn was good as I've never been to Coupar Angus and at that point I was just enjoying the run. Wasn't quite as much fun when I realised that I went wrong somewhere and the frost was getting heavy at points as on the climbs, the back wheel would just spin so I had to take it very easy and it wasn't much better on the descents.

A good challenge that kept me out the bar, ensured I slept great and completed my 50K a month challenge, so all good. :thumbsup:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow

Bit of an adventure right enough..
Bad enough during daylight,
scary with the conditions but well done:okay:
One you'll not forget..

Slick

Guru
Wow @Slick, what an adventure!
I think I would have left the bike and called a taxi back from the house where you stopped ... I would probably also have been in tears :laugh:
Well done you for completing the ride.

I will admit to having some doubts especially as another device failed but the truth is I love a challenge and felt great for most of it and certainly after it so all good.

Bit of an adventure right enough..
Bad enough during daylight,
scary with the conditions but well done:okay:
One you'll not forget..

Thanks, probably should have prepared better and after realising the crashed cars must have crossed the cycle path I should of been on roughly when I should have been on it was sobering.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Thanks, probably should have prepared better and after realising the crashed cars must have crossed the cycle path I should of been on roughly when I should have been on it was sobering.
Horrible feeling,
don't feel so bad, I got lost at the junction box in Carnoustie, in broad daylight, when I eventually saw where I should have gone..
plus I keep taking the wrong turning in Fowlis :blush:

Slick

Guru
Horrible feeling,
don't feel so bad, I got lost at the junction box in Carnoustie, in broad daylight, when I eventually saw where I should have gone..
plus I keep taking the wrong turning in Fowlis :blush:
Are you local then?

I feel better already. ^_^

Slick

Guru
Nah, don't:blush:
I'm Port Glasgow but aspiring to head east (ASAP)....
Mrs M is from the area and I'm up that way on a regular basis (almost 40 years) although only started taking the bike up a couple of years ago..
Sake, your just over the hill from me. :laugh:
Oh well, I must admit I can see why your thinking of going that way. Waterfront looks amazing with the best mix of townhouses and flats I've ever seen and don't get me started on the new V&A, amazing. I fancied heading over the tay but didn't have enough time but I reckon I'll go back for a cycling weekend with Mrs Slick.
20181204_181904.jpg

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Sake, your just over the hill from me. :laugh:
Oh well, I must admit I can see why your thinking of going that way. Waterfront looks amazing with the best mix of townhouses and flats I've ever seen and don't get me started on the new V&A, amazing. I fancied heading over the tay but didn't have enough time but I reckon I'll go back for a cycling weekend with Mrs Slick.
View attachment 442076
Somewhere in the Central Belt, I think..
I did suggest the Carse:blush:

I've been across the bridge and headed both ways, once to Dunblane (one way) and the other following NCN 1 through Tayport ,Tentsmuir down to St Andrews then back via Dairsie area...
an easy jaunt up NCN 1 to Arbroath then up over the Forfarshire hills through Strathmore.
I've wandered more in the Strathmore area..
Its a cracking cycling hub....
Love it..

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
On the off chance Glaswegians have not already left the office, there's been a big accident on Paisley Road West, at Cardonald, involving a bus.
Afaik, PRW is closed to all traffic, maybe bikes can pass.
@Slick

Slick

Guru
On the off chance Glaswegians have not already left the office, there's been a big accident on Paisley Road West, at Cardonald, involving a bus.
Afaik, PRW is closed to all traffic, maybe bikes can pass.
@Slick
Thanks for the tip Pat and normally I could have been affected but I've been on a training course in the city centre so I've been getting the train the last couple of mornings.

I hope everyone is okay.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thanks for the tip Pat and normally I could have been affected but I've been on a training course in the city centre so I've been getting the train the last couple of mornings.

I hope everyone is okay.
Well, got the news from FB a few minutes ago, some said the trains to Paisley are cancelled, can't think why that would be in relation to the crash.

Top Bottom