Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know it's been a bit quiet in here lately but I was hoping for a bit of quick advice but it didn't warrant it's own thread.

I'm going to Dundee on Sunday for work just for a week. It's been a number of years since I've been and it was either work or football that took me there but I'm looking for some ideas of where to go with a road bike in Dundee after work?
You've got lots of options, depending upon: What kind of distance are you talking? Will it be dark? How do you feel about hills?

Slick

Guru
You've got lots of options, depending upon: What kind of distance are you talking? Will it be dark? How do you feel about hills?
I'm okay with hills and yes it will be dark but I'm alright with that as well. Not sure about distance, probably just looking for 2 or 3 hours after I finish work around 4pm so I'm not in the hotel bar all night. :shy:

I'm okay with hills and yes it will be dark but I'm alright with that as well. Not sure about distance, probably just looking for 2 or 3 hours after I finish work around 4pm so I'm not in the hotel bar all night. :shy:
Ok, lots of options. If it were daylight I'd be suggesting Dundee Law but defininitely not after dark...

I may be biased but the Carse of Gowrie after dark is amazing. As are the Sidlaws above it. I'll dig out the CoG Velo loop that goes via Liff and Abernyte.
NCN1 runs through the docklands and hugs the coast, almost entirely nice cycle path and pan flat as far as Arbroath.
Across the water you've got a few options: the road to Newburgh from the Tay Road Bridge is excellent once you get out of Newport.
You could also do a loop up to Monikie Country Park.

Slick

Guru
Ok, lots of options. If it were daylight I'd be suggesting Dundee Law but defininitely not after dark...

I may be biased but the Carse of Gowrie after dark is amazing. As are the Sidlaws above it. I'll dig out the CoG Velo loop that goes via Liff and Abernyte.
NCN1 runs through the docklands and hugs the coast, almost entirely nice cycle path and pan flat as far as Arbroath.
Across the water you've got a few options: the road to Newburgh from the Tay Road Bridge is excellent once you get out of Newport.
You could also do a loop up to Monikie Country Park.
Sounds like there are a few options then, thanks. I know the docks well enough as I worked there often enough and also know thats the shore road to Aberdeen. Never saw a cycle path though but it was back in the days when I wouldn't have been looking.

The Carse of Gowrie/Sidlaws route, assuming starting at the RRS Discovery: https://www.strava.com/routes/16326721
The cycle path west out of the city past the airport is ok, Perth Road is also not terrible. Don't ride on Riverside Drive unless it's late in the evening, though. Lots of excellent little back roads out towards Abernyte so get your explore on.

I'll see if I can tidy up my data from an event in Monikie that a friend put on a couple of years ago.

Slick

Guru
The Carse of Gowrie/Sidlaws route, assuming starting at the RRS Discovery: https://www.strava.com/routes/16326721
The cycle path west out of the city past the airport is ok, Perth Road is also not terrible. Don't ride on Riverside Drive unless it's late in the evening, though. Lots of excellent little back roads out towards Abernyte so get your explore on.

I'll see if I can tidy up my data from an event in Monikie that a friend put on a couple of years ago.
That looks the very thing to stretch the legs a bit, thanks again. :thumbsup:

Slick

Guru

Just realised that this goes right by my hotel, so as long as the weather stays good it's this one tomorrow then Arbroath on Tuesday. :thumbsup:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Now that you mention it, yeah, I can see the similarity.
And when you've got a headwind on the Carse it's very much as if the road goes ever on and on...
The run down the Braes leads you into a false sense of security,
I don't mind the flat stage although the stretch at Errol Airport (airport LOL) can be a killer,
first time I headed west it was head-on and when I turned at Glencarse, it was the same in reverse.
I haven't cycled many times but anytime I've been in the area or around Coupar Angus, it's been in yer face, it's another Bermuda triangle type place...
cracking area to cycle in and you've got cracking cycle routes anywhere you head out of Dundee...
I was up last week for a few days, bike stayed in the car, wx wasn't that good:sad:

The run down the Braes leads you into a false sense of security,
I don't mind the flat stage although the stretch at Errol Airport (airport LOL) can be a killer,
first time I headed west it was head-on and when I turned at Glencarse, it was the same in reverse.
I haven't cycled many times but anytime I've been in the area or around Coupar Angus, it's been in yer face, it's another Bermuda triangle type place...
cracking area to cycle in and you've got cracking cycle routes anywhere you head out of Dundee...
I was up last week for a few days, bike stayed in the car, wx wasn't that good:sad:
The Carse is amazing in good weather but if it's windy it's only fun under specific circumstances. Easily the worst part was that the shop in my village kept rubbish hours and the next nearest was in Errol which could be "challenging" to get to on a night like this, to put it mildly.

The omnidirectional headwind north of the Sidlaws and south of the Cairngorms is a different matter entirely. Well documented by those crazy audax types, I understand.

Top Bottom