Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

View: https://twitter.com/roadcc/status/1198214386827120640

Bit of validation for my mostly jokey comment.
IIRC @dhd.evans is the fellow who was close-passed by the police van.

Disgraceful by the police.

Bloody hell. That took me to another story -

Councillors call on cops to penalise 'inconsiderate' cyclists riding two abreast 'for their own safety'

https://road.cc/content/news/268933...considerate-cyclists-riding-two-abreast-their

SNP councillor for Trossachs and Teith, Evelyn Tweed, meanwhile, bemoaned cyclists riding two abreast – even though this is perfectly legal and indeed encouraged in certain circumstances.

She recounted a “horrible drive” in heavy rain, during which she had encountered a group of cyclists riding two or three abreast.

“As the road was busy with traffic, this made it extremely difficult to pass cyclists and led to some unsafe driving as drivers tried to pass and get on with their journey,” she said.

“Drivers undoubtedly have to consider cyclists and their safety but cyclists also have to consider how they are using the roads. In these circumstances, I think they should go single file.”

Bloody hell. That took me to another story -

Councillors call on cops to penalise 'inconsiderate' cyclists riding two abreast 'for their own safety'

https://road.cc/content/news/268933...considerate-cyclists-riding-two-abreast-their
Yeah, the SNP's performance where active travel and vulnerable road users are concerned has been pretty consistently awful.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
None, if the status quo is allowed to continue.
Jo Public is discussing it on Facebook and it’s the usual anti-cyclist vitriol. Problem is, the more it gets brought up, the more “them and us” feelings just seem to grow. Until climate change forces some serious reduction in polluting vehicles and really starts to encourage other forms of transport, not sure what can be done. :sad:

CharlesF

Guru
Jo Public is discussing it on Facebook and it’s the usual anti-cyclist vitriol. Problem is, the more it gets brought up, the more “them and us” feelings just seem to grow. Until climate change forces some serious reduction in polluting vehicles and really starts to encourage other forms of transport, not sure what can be done. :sad:

Unfortunately, preventing pollution costs money, which no council wants to spent. It has to be tackled from a different angle.

Ban all vehicles from urban areas with deliveries to outlying drop-off points (collected by cargo bikes?) and only mini buses allowed in the town. All traffic signs, traffic lights, road marking can be removed/ not maintained, saving them money. Gradually all roads have the pavements widened and a wide single lane remains for cyclists and the mini buses which are speed regulated.

The advantage here is more people near local shops, generating income for the area. Most cars on the road are passing through more places than they stop in with no economic benefit for the areas they pass through. When a car does stop, it is for a specific purpose and usually there is no time to dawdle as your time out of the car is controlled by the parking meter and the treat of a fine for overstaying.

This is my idea of utopia, more community, easier cycling, less pollution. Dream on!

Slick

Guru
I may go for a quick squint at what is being said but if it's as you say I won't hang around.

There is very little an individual can do, but that doesn't mean I do nothing. I'm far from a big environmentalist but we are all pretty much on the right side of that argument and those that are on Twitter banging on about me occupying space they believe is theirs are in for a shock in the not too distant future. I keep winding up the drivers at my work about the parking charges that are inevitably coming and they hate it. As for what I do, it's very little but I support my local pressure group who lobby constantly for a larger slice of the cake and they do make a difference. I also support a couple of national organisations who lobby parliament, who don't make a difference to me but they do influence some government policies. It's not much but that and vote for who I think is more likely to finally change the direction we are currently heading is about as much as I can do, apart from the odd protest ride when someone decides to reclaim my city for cycling, which is always fun. :okay:

Slick

Guru
Screenshot_20191124-224227_Maps.jpg

I'm stuck in a hotel middle of the week for a couple of nights and I wondered if anyone has any tips for where to go if I take my bike with me. I've never spent a lot of time on the east coast so have absolutely no idea where would be good for a gentle couple of hours before dinner. All suggestions welcome.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The bypass would be... exciting but you're also very close to the Forth Clyde Canal. Maybe take the canal along to Linlithgow, visit the Palace then come back via Blackness Castle and the Bridges?

dhd.evans

Veteran

Slick

Guru
The bypass would be... exciting but you're also very close to the Forth Clyde Canal. Maybe take the canal along to Linlithgow, visit the Palace then come back via Blackness Castle and the Bridges?
Might give that a go. I had lunch at the palace during the Glasgow Edinburgh cycle and was most impressed but didn't really hang around.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Slick years ago I did a lovely ride from the centre of Edinburgh to Musselbourgh (spelling?), they call it the sea ^_^
I remember there is actually a cycle route to it, it was all on roads.
Maybe @Scoosh will ride with you, if he's around?

Top Bottom