Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I've spent all my life in Glasgow.
I did move to Rutherglen for a while, but at the time it was part of Glasgow before moving into South Lanarkshire .

If I decided to move somewhere else in Scotland I think it would be Perthshire. I love Aberfeldy and the surrounding area and have really missed visiting lately.
I have moved around a bit but spent my student years in Glasgow. Have lived in East Lothian,Maddiston near Falkirk then back to Glasgow briefly,Helensburgh, Cardross and Bowling before moving to a Hebridean island where I have spent most of my life. If I had to move I fancy Benderloch near Oban which has a good bus service and access to cycle paths and some quiet roads for cycling. My gravestone however is ready with my name on it where I now live as my wife is buried here and I still have friends here.

pjd57

Veteran
I have moved around a bit but spent my student years in Glasgow. Have lived in East Lothian,Maddiston near Falkirk then back to Glasgow briefly,Helensburgh, Cardross and Bowling before moving to a Hebridean island where I have spent most of my life. If I had to move I fancy Benderloch near Oban which has a good bus service and access to cycle paths and some quiet roads for cycling. My gravestone however is ready with my name on it where I now live as my wife is buried here and I still have friends here.

I probably posted it on here in My ride today, but I toured round every address I have ever lived at since I was born in 1957 until now in an afternoon.
Nice Strava map and it was only just over 30 miles .

snorri

Legendary Member
If I decided to move somewhere else in Scotland I think it would be Perthshire. I love Aberfeldy and the surrounding area and have really missed visiting lately.
I used to make an annual pilgrimage to Aberfeldy and visit the silent forebears lying in the St Mary's churchyard at Grandtully. Every year I went into the church and read about the ceiling paintings. When I first went there (by train, change at Ballinluig) as a child the farmer was storing his farm implements in there! I haven't managed to get down there for a few years now.
https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/st-marys-church-grandtully/history/

Warm and muggy on my morning ride today, I was grateful that I live in a part of the country not so badly affected by the midge. I would imagine that further north and west they would be quite unbearable on a day like today. Can anyone report ? How have they been this year ?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Can anyone report ? How have they been this year ?
Part of my job involves working outside, in a very green and lush environment, typical of that favoured by the midge! Weather here has been ideal for them today - warm, damp, hardly any wind. I was outside for a while this morning and have to say, they were bad, but not as bad as I was expecting.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
No midgies on the east coast just now, they like warm and wet, it's too cold and dry (and windy!) for them here:smile:.

Brandane

Legendary Member

Slick

Guru
Can't "advise" really; but looking at the route I have inadvertently done various sections of it in the past. Looks like a good coast to coast route and maybe one more on the "to do" list :okay:.
I think I've done bits of it myself, and I think if we get a halfway decent forecast in August, I'm going to give it a go as long as we can get quality accommodation. If nobody has done it I may report back what I find. :okay:

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I think I've done bits of it myself, and I think if we get a halfway decent forecast in August, I'm going to give it a go as long as we can get quality accommodation. If nobody has done it I may report back what I find. :okay:
I've done the sections from Helensburgh to South Queensferry, at different times, I'd penciled it for this year in until I did F&C Allandale to Queensferry bit recently.
Is there GPX tracks anyway, I'm sure I had them but can only find PDF maps..]
If I can get the Boss to take the car seat out, I may try the last section..
If not, I'll get your info:okay:

Slick

Guru
I did find a few files on ride with GPS but I'm not a purist so not particularly determined to follow the original route and quite happy to take the later installed branches particularly for bikes. Like everyone else, I've done very little other than cycle to work since lockdown and determined to do something interesting as soon as possible. The first will be Tyndrum to Fort William through Glencoe through the night probably this Friday or Saturday, hopefully a bit of breakfast before getting the train back. Not particularly long, but day break on Glencoe has always been pretty spectacular.

GilesM

Legendary Member

Attachments

• DSCN0397.JPG
    DSCN0397.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom