Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My wife and I have spent many hours over the past 20 years trying to decide where to retire to. The default option is to stay where we are in Edinburgh, dull but practical. All other thoughts are round and about Speyside/Moray/Inverness/Black Isle, but our discussions never reach decision.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I still harbour desires to go back to my place of birth, the Isle of Bute. I can actually see it from where I live just now, but there's a large stretch of water to negotiate.
Thing is, it's not the place it once was. Unloved and neglected, it has become something of a dumping ground for problem residents of other council areas, particularly Glasgow and Greenock. They generally don't stay long as they get bored, but get replaced with more of the same. Saying that, Largs is much the same now.
Better the devil you know and all that. At least from a cycling perspective, here I'm not limited to a 23 mile loop every day!

Slick

Guru
I still harbour desires to go back to my place of birth, the Isle of Bute. I can actually see it from where I live just now, but there's a large stretch of water to negotiate.
Thing is, it's not the place it once was. Unloved and neglected, it has become something of a dumping ground for problem residents of other council areas, particularly Glasgow and Greenock. They generally don't stay long as they get bored, but get replaced with more of the same. Saying that, Largs is much the same now.
Better the devil you know and all that. At least from a cycling perspective, here I'm not limited to a 23 mile loop every day!
My mum came from Bute and my uncle moved back a few years ago after he lost his wife. I don't know it that well but it still brings back happy childhood memories for me and I still like going over from time to time to see my old Gran who I think was one of the last to be buried in the church yard.

Slick

Guru
Hello @Flick of the Elbow :hello:
Don't worry, I'm not Scottish either, neither is @classic33 who forever lurks in here :laugh:
I've been watching, with abated breath, oor Nicola's briefings.
Today will probably be the day when she says that I can visit my best pal in her flat, sharing a coffee and having a bleather :hyper:
Sadly, it won't make a difference to me, haven't been able to leave my flat for 3 weeks.
Corona? What Corona?!
Badly injured my knee in a gardening accident.
Can't walk far, can't cycle, bloody physio closed, of course :cry::cry::cry:
I got an appointment last Sunday and have another today Pat in Cathcart road. I don't think they advertise but they are now open part time if you are in pain. Happy to pass on a number if you like.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I got an appointment last Sunday and have another today Pat in Cathcart road. I don't think they advertise but they are now open part time if you are in pain. Happy to pass on a number if you like.
Yes, please, pm me the number.
I am registered with my physio just down the road (prone to injuries haha, old age), they ask clients to email/phone/leave fb messages, but then they don't return them!
I am getting better very slowly, been doing the exercises, ice packs, the usual.
If my physio does not get back to me by next week, I'll phone yours ^_^

Brandane

Legendary Member
My mum came from Bute and my uncle moved back a few years ago after he lost his wife. I don't know it that well but it still brings back happy childhood memories for me and I still like going over from time to time to see my old Gran who I think was one of the last to be buried in the church yard.
Not sure what age you are @Slick , but no doubt some of my relatives (sadly none of my parents generation are still with us) would have known some of your relatives. Your Uncle probably knows my brothers!

Slick

Guru
Not sure what age you are @Slick , but no doubt some of my relatives (sadly none of my parents generation are still with us) would have known some of your relatives. Your Uncle probably knows my brothers!
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. He was desperate to move back there after years away, and I totally get why.

Slick

Guru
Yes, please, pm me the number.
I am registered with my physio just down the road (prone to injuries haha, old age), they ask clients to email/phone/leave fb messages, but then they don't return them!
I am getting better very slowly, been doing the exercises, ice packs, the usual.
If my physio does not get back to me by next week, I'll phone yours ^_^
I've sent you the number Pat. 👍

Watching Landward, missing the Royal Highland Show :sad:

pjd57

Veteran
I've spent all my life in Glasgow.
I did move to Rutherglen for a while, but at the time it was part of Glasgow before moving into South Lanarkshire .

If I decided to move somewhere else in Scotland I think it would be Perthshire. I love Aberfeldy and the surrounding area and have really missed visiting lately.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've spent all my life in Glasgow.
I did move to Rutherglen for a while, but at the time it was part of Glasgow before moving into South Lanarkshire .

If I decided to move somewhere else in Scotland I think it would be Perthshire. I love Aberfeldy and the surrounding area and have really missed visiting lately.
I’m obviously biased living here, but I agree Perthshire is a lovely area.

Top Bottom