Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Go for it................we can call you Buttercup. :laugh:

I've actually been singing that on my morning dog walk! Couldn't figure out how that got in my head until this morning - obviously playing on my mind... :laugh:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Good morning all! How are we all doing? Decided to pop in for a nosey as it is quiet at present (bank holiday), hope you are all keeping safe and well during these "interesting" times...

Did a wee Round the Forth yesterday which reminded me of my first ever CC ride, I think it took us all day! My wife asked me who I was riding with and I told her it was a few blokes off the internet that I'd never met... :ohmy: look where that got me ^_^

Anyhoo all good here in Fifeshire, doing the Zwift thingy so just working out whether to sign up for the "Build Me Up" training plan - could be a sore one :cry:
No pain no gain...😉:okay:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hello Mark @Fubar ^_^
I saw your ride, haven't done a 50 miler for months!
The lockdown has confirmed what I already knew about myself: if I don't have places to go, I rarely ride.
I'm such an utilitarian cyclist! :laugh: :smooch:

Fubar

Guru
Hello Mark @Fubar ^_^
I saw your ride, haven't done a 50 miler for months!
The lockdown has confirmed what I already knew about myself: if I don't have places to go, I rarely ride.
I'm such an utilitarian cyclist! :laugh: :smooch:

TBF I think we will all have to become utilitarian cyclists in the future! No bad thing I suppose...

I did have someone drafting me into a headwind yesterday, who was very reluctant to overtake - was sorely tempted to snot-bomb and pretend I hadn't seen him (I didn't!) - instead I just kept braking until he got fed up and overtook me, riding off into the distance :rolleyes:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Two email notifications today with official notice of cancellation of rides. Not that I really expected them to go ahead, but I was living in hope.
Ride to the Sun - the overnight 100 mile ride from Carlisle to Edinburgh on Saturday 20th June - cancelled. Since I no longer have a fiancée with a birthday on the RttS weekend to effectively cancel it for me :laugh:, I was hoping to do this one this year.
Round Strathaven 50 - 50 mile ride on a Sunday in August - cancelled.
Both e-mails did state that they will be back next year :smile:.
RttS has no entry fee. RS50 offered a full refund, or waive the fee and they donate to specified charities, which I opted for.

Slick

Guru
Two email notifications today with official notice of cancellation of rides. Not that I really expected them to go ahead, but I was living in hope.
Ride to the Sun - the overnight 100 mile ride from Carlisle to Edinburgh on Saturday 20th June - cancelled. Since I no longer have a fiancée with a birthday on the RttS weekend to effectively cancel it for me :laugh:, I was hoping to do this one this year.
Round Strathaven 50 - 50 mile ride on a Sunday in August - cancelled.
Both e-mails did state that they will be back next year :smile:.
RttS has no entry fee. RS50 offered a full refund, or waive the fee and they donate to specified charities, which I opted for.
I would have tackled a couple of different rides by now and I have definitely missed the challenge that these days offer. The only one that I'm still signed up for is the rearranged etape Loch Ness in September which I am keeping everything crossed for. 🤞🤞

Hello all, I’m from Birmingham and live in only a semi-Scottish part of Scotland but hopefully you will allow me to contribute to this thread.
I’ve been enjoying some of the Scottish tv that’s been broadcast in recent months, I loved Susan Calman’s Social Isolation from her back garden and Damian Barr’s Shelf Isolation was very watchable too but pride of place for me has been the music of Julie Fowlis’s Ceol Aig Baile on BBC Alba, some absolutely wonderful Celtic collaborations enabled through modern technology. And unconnected with lockdown I’m addicted to Scotland’s Home of the Year programme, I love the presenting team.
What’s anyone else watching ?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hello @Flick of the Elbow :hello:
Don't worry, I'm not Scottish either, neither is @classic33 who forever lurks in here :laugh:
I've been watching, with abated breath, oor Nicola's briefings.
Today will probably be the day when she says that I can visit my best pal in her flat, sharing a coffee and having a bleather :hyper:
Sadly, it won't make a difference to me, haven't been able to leave my flat for 3 weeks.
Corona? What Corona?!
Badly injured my knee in a gardening accident.
Can't walk far, can't cycle, bloody physio closed, of course :cry::cry::cry:

Drago

Legendary Member
And today Mrs D is pouring water on the embers on my latest plan to move back north of the border. To be fair, she has a career and a large family - I have no career, and my Dad lives 120 miles away already (I don't really speak to my Mum or sister - we're not estranged, it's just very strained), so it looks like I'm going to have to wait until she retires as well.

And today Mrs D is pouring water on the embers on my latest plan to move back north of the border. To be fair, she has a career and a large family - I have no career, and my Dad lives 120 miles away already (I don't really speak to my Mum or sister - we're not estranged, it's just very strained), so it looks like I'm going to have to wait until she retires as well.
Anywhere specific in mind ?

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm always browsing. My place in Voe is too small for a family, so I'll have to sell that. Orkney is nicer than Shetland to my mind, better cared for, less of a drug problem in Kirkwall than there is in Lerwick, but they're less welcoming of incomers than Shetland, so I've been looking at going back to Shetland, or maybe Lewis.

But RightMove emailed me about a fantastic looking place on North Uist. More than I'd want to spend, but in budget. Schooling looks decent, but transport is admittedly less than stellar and that's put Mrs D right off. I cant argue with her, her reasons are totally valid, so I'm going to have to wait another 7 or 8 years until she joins me in retirement.

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Hello @Flick of the Elbow :hello:
Don't worry, I'm not Scottish either, neither is @classic33 who forever lurks in here :laugh:
I've been watching, with abated breath, oor Nicola's briefings.
Today will probably be the day when she says that I can visit my best pal in her flat, sharing a coffee and having a bleather :hyper:
Sadly, it won't make a difference to me, haven't been able to leave my flat for 3 weeks.
Corona? What Corona?!
Badly injured my knee in a gardening accident.
Can't walk far, can't cycle, bloody physio closed, of course :cry::cry::cry:
:hugs:
I'm always browsing. My place in Voe is too small for a family, so I'll have to sell that. Orkney is nicer than Shetland to my mind, better cared for, less of a drug problem in Kirkwall than there is in Lerwick, but they're less welcoming of incomers than Shetland, so I've been looking at going back to Shetland, or maybe Lewis.

But RightMove emailed me about a fantastic looking place on North Uist. More than I'd want to spend, but in budget. Schooling looks decent, but transport is admittedly less than stellar and that's put Mrs D right off. I cant argue with her, her reasons are totally valid, so I'm going to have to wait another 7 or 8 years until she joins me in retirement.
That could be a night less chasing B&B if and when I return to the Isles:okay:
(Radio and ADSB heaven)

No half measures there then, the full on storm battered rugged isolation at the mercy of the ferries lifestyle ambition :smile:

Top Bottom