Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
signed Bob 23 and 10 months:laugh:
........in yer dreams son! :laugh:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Nearly allowed to go wandering outside our local area :smile:.
I was thinking of going to Arran. A word of warning to anyone else planning ferry trips though, it aint going to be easy! Because of social distancing regs, passenger capacity has been drastically cut. To travel to Arran now, you have to pre book, even as a cyclist or foot passenger. Demand is likely to soar once restrictions are lifted, so book well ahead. Last night I looked at today's sailings, no chance of getting on (as a resident of North Ayrshire I would not be breaking current roolz). Tomorrow the same. Even if you can get across on a stupidly early ferry, the problem is getting back.
The ferry to Rothesay (Bute), or Cumbrae, you cannot pre book. It's a case of turn up and hope for the best. The weather is bound to dictate just how busy those ferries become, but I can see it being chaos in the good weather. Again, getting across is no guarantee of getting back.
So until the lifting of social distancing regs, beware of public transport in general. :sad:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Nearly allowed to go wandering outside our local area :smile:.
I was thinking of going to Arran. A word of warning to anyone else planning ferry trips though, it aint going to be easy! Because of social distancing regs, passenger capacity has been drastically cut. To travel to Arran now, you have to pre book, even as a cyclist or foot passenger. Demand is likely to soar once restrictions are lifted, so book well ahead. Last night I looked at today's sailings, no chance of getting on (as a resident of North Ayrshire I would not be breaking current roolz). Tomorrow the same. Even if you can get across on a stupidly early ferry, the problem is getting back.
The ferry to Rothesay (Bute), or Cumbrae, you cannot pre book. It's a case of turn up and hope for the best. The weather is bound to dictate just how busy those ferries become, but I can see it being chaos in the good weather. Again, getting across is no guarantee of getting back.
So until the lifting of social distancing regs, beware of public transport in general. :sad:
Think also on the effect the ferry restricted numbers have on island residents. I can go to Oban just now only for medical reasons but when the travel ban is lifted it will be very difficult getting a day trip for any reason. Not that it stops current travelling by tourists on a variety of scams and holiday homes are widely occupied.
I admit to being a bit techy on this subject but being an island resident travel is already a problem and will only get worse.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Think also on the effect the ferry restricted numbers have on island residents. I can go to Oban just now only for medical reasons but when the travel ban is lifted it will be very difficult getting a day trip for any reason. Not that it stops current travelling by tourists on a variety of scams and holiday homes are widely occupied.
I admit to being a bit techy on this subject but being an island resident travel is already a problem and will only get worse.
As an ex island dweller (Bute), you have my sympathy. CalMac should have a system in place whereby permanent residents get travel priority over the tourists, second home owners, and others who find an excuse to visit.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As an ex island dweller (Bute), you have my sympathy. CalMac should have a system in place whereby permanent residents get travel priority over the tourists, second home owners, and others who find an excuse to visit.
Nice to find somebody who understands the problem.
Residents should get priority but with computerised booking systems there is one big problem. Tourists often book weeks if not months in advance whereas residents for eg hospital appointments often only have a week or sometimes two weeks.
Some spaces could be kept for locals but that is hard to predict and with pressure on the ferry with much reduced capacity every space needs to be taken up.
While the Oban hospital is as helpful as they can be there is not much flexibility in the system and could not cope with us booking first and then confirming an appointment which is the only way round this.
I used to have a bolt hole for emergency overnights but currently that is illegal and that way it was a 160 mile return trip via Corran Ferry which took 2 days rather than a 50 minute ferry on one day.

bruce1530

Guru
Last autumn, the situation was similar. At that time, ferry capacity on ardrossan-brodick was very restricted, as they had to ensure a certain amount of distancing, and due to weather could not rely on “deck passenger spaces” being available. However, if the weather was favourable, they would add another 100 or so spaces for “turn up and travel”, but these wouldn’t be released until just before sailing.

I went to Arran in (I think) August - turned up for the 8am ferry as foot passenger with bike, was told I wouldn’t get on, but could get a space on the next one. Then about 10 mins from departure, they shouted us over and we got on - and also gave us a reservation for a return.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I'm afraid I jumped the gun today. Took a break from clearing out the parents' house and went for a wee walk.
20210415_135215.jpg

20210415_135151.jpg

Dwn

Since we are free to leave our immediate areas, I have a sudden notion to head to the West Station cafe in Greenock for a delicious ice cream. I usually take the old Greenock road, which brings me out at clune brae in Port Glasgow. The next few miles along the main road are pretty unpleasant. Is there a cycle path by any chance? Hard to be sure from the map

Brandane

Legendary Member
Since we are free to leave our immediate areas, I have a sudden notion to head to the West Station cafe in Greenock for a delicious ice cream. I usually take the old Greenock road, which brings me out at clune brae in Port Glasgow. The next few miles along the main road are pretty unpleasant. Is there a cycle path by any chance? Hard to be sure from the map
Not sure where you are coming FROM, but you could get on the NCN route along the disused railway line, which runs from Paisley canal station to Linwood, Bridge of Weir, Kilmacolm, and into upper Port Glasgow. From there, there is a signposted road route (if the natives haven't stolen the signs) taking you down through Port Glasgow to join another off road path through Gibshill and into Greenock. On road with more signposts takes you to the waterfront near the old custom house, and easy enough to get to west station from there. Still a bit chilly for ice cream though 😄.

Edit to add..... If you come along Old Greenock Road from Langbank direction, turn left to go up the Clune Brae, straight through the roundabout at the top takes you onto Dubbs Road... round the right hand bend at Montrose Avenue junction you should see the blue NCN signs for the aforementioned route.

Last edited:

Dwn

Edit to add..... If you come along Old Greenock Road from Langbank direction, turn left to go up the Clune Brae, straight through the roundabout at the top takes you onto Dubbs Road... round the right hand bend at Montrose Avenue junction you should see the blue NCN signs for the aforementioned route.
[/QUOTE]

Perfect timing - just stopped outside Ingliston Country Club for a drink of water - so will follow the route you suggested. Thanks. Never too cold for genuine Scottish-Italian ice cream!

Attachments

• 8580D372-DF2E-4B69-A1AB-42EA1E99FC92.jpeg
    8580D372-DF2E-4B69-A1AB-42EA1E99FC92.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom